Frontier Mine, Katanga
|Country||Democratic Republic of the Congo|
Frontier Mine is a copper mine in Katanga Province, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) owned and operated by ERG (Eurasian Resources Group). The resource was first mined by First Quantum Minerals. The mine has an annual capacity of 370,000 tonnes of sulphide concentrate containing 27% copper. 
The mine is located 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from the Zambian border, near to the town of Sakania. The main railway from the Zambian copperbelt to Lubumbashi in the DRC runs within 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) of the site. The area was explored in the 1930s, and Union Minière found copper in 1932. The area was further explored in the 1970s. Companies who have explored in the region include Anglo American and a joint venture between Sodimico and a Japanese group.
First Quantum obtained exploration licenses in January 2001 and July 2002. Production began in 2007, and in 2010 the mine yielded 322,700 tonnes of copper. In August 2010 the DRC government seized Frontier, the largest copper mine in the country, saying First Quantum had been "unreasonable" in refusing to renegotiate the terms of the contract. The government-owned company Sodimico was granted the titles to First Quantum's Frontier and Lonshi mines. In August 2011 Sodimico said it had sold its share in the two copper projects for $30 million. This was less than a sixteenth of the estimated value of the stake. The purchaser was not named.
Re-Development and ENRC licence
In July 2012, ERG, known as Eurasian Natural Resources Corp Plc at the time was granted the mining licence at Frontier. ENRC had previously acquired First Quantum's plant and equipment remaining at the site as part of a settlement for First Quantum DRC assets. ENRC announced plans to recommence production as soon as possible.
- "ERG Frontier Mine". ERG.
- "Frontier Project". 24hGold. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Tim Webb (6 September 2010). "Mining companies clash over Congo copper mine". The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Chanel de Bruyn (30 August 2010). "DRC withdraws permit for First Quantum's Frontier mine". Mining Weekly. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Michael J. Kavanagh and Franz Wild (Aug 17, 2011). "Congolese State Miner Sodimico Sells a Stake in Former First Quantum Mines". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Eurasian Natural Resources Corp Plc Acquisition of Frontier Licence". FOX Business. Jul 31, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-08.