|Single by David Gray|
|from the album Draw the Line|
|Released||7 September 2009|
|Format||CD, digital download|
|Songwriter(s)||David Gray, Rob Malone, Keith Prior|
|David Gray singles chronology|
"Fugitive" is the first single taken from David Gray's eighth studio album Draw the Line. The song had its first exclusive play on Ken Bruce's BBC Radio 2 show on 21 July 2009 and was released in the UK on 7 September 2009.
Gray stated in an interview that the title and lyrics of the track were inspired by an image he had of Saddam Hussein being pulled out of his spider hole. Gray performed the song on 25 September 2009 on the Late Show with David Letterman and an acoustic version on GMTV, saying that the song was "about hiding from life, from yourself. It's saying don't forsake it all because there's something keeping you upright and keeping you walking down the street." The single features the exclusive B-side "Jitterbug."
The music video was directed by Dan Lumb and features Gray performing live at the piano. As he sings, the surrounding walls, floor and ceiling fill with images expressing the mood and urgency of the song. Gray was shot over a day and artist/animator Will Barras meticulously painted each scene on to the walls, etc. to mirror Gray's performance the following day.
Critical and commercial reception
"Fugitive" received generally positive reviews. Digital Spy called it "a solid return" while MusicOMH labeled it "an excellent, upbeat lead single", but the BBC reported that almost 2 weeks after its release, it had yet to crack the top 100 on the UK Singles Chart. The single also performed poorly on the Swiss Music Charts, where it entered and peaked at number 84, charting for only one week.
- David Gray - vocals, piano, acoustic guitar, Wurlitzer, hi-strung, vox organ, vibraphone, harmonium
- Neill MacColl - electric guitar, acoustic guitar, mandolin, hi-strung, backing vocals
- Robbie Malone - bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, harmonium, backing vocals
- Keith Prior - drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Iestyn Polson - programming
- "Fugitive" – 3:46
- "Jitterbug" – 3:26
- "Celebrity News, Gossip and Photo Galleries - HuffPost Celebrity UK". Spinnermusic.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "David Gray, "Fugitive"". ickmusic. 2009-07-30. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "David Gray to perform "Fugitive" on The Late Show with David Letterman". Band Weblogs. 2009-08-14. Archived from the original on 2012-02-25. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- http://www.gm.tv/entertainment/music/37839-david-gray-exclusive-web-performance.html[permanent dead link]
- "News". DavidGray.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Heringer, Mark (2009-09-15). "Starbucks iTunes Pick of the Week - David Gray - Fugitive". www.mark-heringer.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Rafal Kwiatkowski. "th2ng directs interactive video for David Gray's Fugitive - Pressitt SMNR". Pressitt.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "David Gray: 'Fugitive' - Music Singles Review". Digital Spy. 2009-09-06. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "David Gray - Draw The Line | album reviews". musicOMH. Archived from the original on 2012-10-03. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "Music - Review of David Gray - Draw the Line". BBC. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Steffen Hung. "David Gray - Fugitive". swisscharts.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.