Güira de Melena
|Güira de Melena|
Güira de Melena municipality (red) within
Artemisa Province (yellow) and Cuba
|• Total||178 km2 (69 sq mi)|
|Elevation||20 m (70 ft)|
|• Density||212.6/km2 (551/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
Güira de Melena is a municipality and town in the Artemisa Province since January 1. of 2011, before it was part of the Havana province. Cuba. It is located on the southern shore of the island, bordering the Bay of Batabanó and on the west part of Cuba . It was founded in 1779.
The principal economic activities include agriculture, especially tobacco; the city has cigar factories. Other agricultural products are potatoes, bananas, pineapples and other tropical fruits, and dairy products.
- Guije.com. "Güira de Melena" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- Statoids (July 2003). "Municipios of Cuba". Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- Atenas.cu (2004). "2004 Population trends, by Province and Municipality" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2006-07-14. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- "Cronicas de Güira de Melena". Elba Rosa Rodriguez, 2011 (Spanish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Güira de Melena.|
- Article from El Habanero newspaper (Spanish)