Edith Joan Lyttleton
|Edith Joan Lyttelton|
|Born||December 18, 1873|
|Died||March 10, 1945(aged 71)|
Edith Joan Lyttelton (18 December 1873 – 10 March 1945) was an Australasian author, who wrote as G. B. Lancaster. She was born in Tasmania, and brought up (from 1879) on a sheep station in Canterbury, New Zealand. She produced 13 novels, a collection of stories, two serialised novels and over 250 stories.
She was New Zealand's most widely read writer of the first half of the twentieth century. She wrote about the formation of colonial identity and the legacy of imperialism in the lives of settlers and their descendants. Her settings were Australia, Canada and New Zealand. She was influenced by Rudyard Kipling and R. L. Stevenson.
Her first success was with The Law-bringers (1913), which was made into a Hollywood feature film in the 1920s (as was The Altar Stairs). Pageant (1933) topped the American best-seller list for six months. Other successes were Promenade (1938) and Grand Parade (1943). She left New Zealand in 1909 for London, where she died in a nursing home on 10 March 1945.
- Sons O' Man (1904)
- The Spur to Smite (1905)
- The Tracks We Tread (1907)
- The Altar Stairs (1907)
- Jim of the Ranges (1910)
- The Honorable Peggy (1911)
- The Law-Bringers (1913)
- Food Divine (1917)
- The Savignys (1918)
- Pageant (1933)
- The World is Yours (1933)
- Promenade (1938)
- Grand Parade (1943)
- Rider of the Law (1919) - original screenplay with H. Tipton Steck
- The Altar Stairs (1922) - based on her novel of the same name
- The Eternal Struggle (1923) - based on her novel The Law-Bringers
- The Little Irish Girl (1926) - based on her story "The Grifters"
- Bred in Old Kentucky (1926) - original screenplay with Louis Weadock
- Sturm, Terry. "Lyttleton, Edith Joan". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Ministry for Culture and Heritage. Retrieved 9 April 2011.
- "Deaths". The Times. London, England. 13 March 1945. p. 1.
- "Australian Literature : Society's Annual 'Drama Night'", The Age, 6 October 1934, p21
- IMDB - Rider of the Law
- IMDB - The Altar Stairs
- IMDB - The Eternal Struggle
- IMDB - The Little Irish Girl
- IMDB - Bred in Old Kentucky