Galesburg High School
|Galesburg High School|
Galesburg High School is a public high school in Galesburg, Illinois. Galesburg High School was established in 1861 in downtown Galesburg. It has since moved to Fremont Street on the west side of town. The school is located on 80 acres (320,000 m2) of land with a full lighted football field, two baseball fields, two softball fields, a soccer field, a full gymnasium, auditorium, and a separate building with another gym and a swimming pool.
A new sports facility was finished in 2014 that has created a more centralized campus and has also made it more sports-friendly for girls involvement in sports. The new multi-purpose facility houses locker rooms, weight rooms, storage as well as more room for physical education classes.
The Galesburg High School athletic teams compete in the IHSA Western Big 6 Conference, with the team name "Silver Streaks" and team colors of black, gold, and silver. The Silver Streaks moniker refers to the CB&Q streamlined Pioneer Zephyr, a high-speed train that ran through Galesburg from 1934 to 1960.
There are multiple sports offered for the students of Galesburg High School. For boys, the sports include: baseball, basketball, football, soccer, swimming, tennis and wrestling. For girls, the sports include: basketball, bowling, cheerleading, golf, dance, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis and volleyball.
The school also offers two co-ed teams: cross country and track and field.
2007 diploma controversy
In response to many families cheering too loudly and slowing the graduation ceremony diplomas will be withheld of students whose families cheer. Community Unit School District#205 relented on June 7 and gave the students their diplomas. Four of the affected students started legal proceedings against the district, claiming that they were unfairly targeted by the policy.
- Aaron Fike and A. J. Fike, NASCAR drivers
- Jim Sundberg, Major League Baseball player (the baseball field is named after him)
- Sewall Wright, biologist
- "Galesburg sports facilities get major upgrade". WQAD.com. Retrieved 2015-10-18.
- "Galesburg High School | Home". il.8to18.com. Retrieved 2015-10-18.
- The Associated Press (2007-06-03). "Diplomas Denied Over Graduation Cheers". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2009-04-27.
- Carlson, Jane (2007-06-07). "District relinquishes diplomas". The Register-Mail. Archived from the original on 2014-07-15.
- Cooper, Craig (2002-05-11). "Fikes racing each other to the big time". Quad-City Times. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Galesburg's Sundberg retiring from Rangers". The Register-Mail. 2014-02-07. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- Ruse, Joseph Travis, Michael; Travis, Joseph (2009). Evolution: The First Four Billion Years. Harvard University Press. p. 927. ISBN 9780674031753.
|This Illinois school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|