Garry Jacobs (born 29 July 1946) is an American writer, social thinker, researcher and consultant on the topics of business management, economic and social development, and global governance. He is the President and CEO of the World Academy of Art & Science; Chairman of the Board and CEO of the World University Consortium; Managing Editor of Cadmus Journal; Vice-President of The Mother’s Service Society; Distinguished Professor of Interdisciplinary Studies at the Person-Centered Approach Institute, Italy; Executive Director of the International Center for Peace and Development in Napa, California; and a full member of the Club of Rome.
In the early 1970s Jacobs began to conduct research at The Mother’s Service Society on the theory and practice of individual, organizational and social development. Over the next decade, he wrote a number of papers on the principles of business management, economic and social development as aspects of an as yet undeveloped integrated science of society and is one aspect of an as yet undeveloped integrated science of society. Long before criticism of GDP became prevalent, he called for alternative measures of economic development and tested a new index applicable to rural areas of India. He also proposed a comprehensive set of strategies to accelerate Indian development and education. He headed a research team that developed strategies to accelerate national development for the Planning Commission (India) which were published in the book Kamadhenu: The Prosperity Movement. Jacobs also edited and contributed to the Indian Planning Commission's report India: Vision 2020.
In 1985 he co-authored the book The Vital Difference: Unleashing the Powers of Sustained Corporate Success with Frederick Harmon, a study of economic growth based on studies of multibillion-dollar companies. In 1990 he co-authored The Vital Corporation: How American Companies Large and Small Double Profits in Two Years or Less with Robert Macfarlane.
In 1989 Jacobs cofounded the International Commission on Peace & Food, and served for five years as its Member-Secretary, convener of ICPF’s working groups on Employment, coordinator of the ICPF research team that evolved a strategy to generate 100 million new jobs in India, which was adopted as official policy by the Government of India in 1992. Jacobs was the lead author as well as editor of the Commission’s report to the United Nations entitled Uncommon Opportunities: Agenda for Peace & Equitable Development. He also co-chaired ICPF task forces that developed strategies for generating global full employment and for economic transition in Eastern Europe. He acted as the organization's member secretary until 1994.
In 1995 he was elected to the World Academy of Art & Science and joined the Board of Trustees as Chair of the Committee on Peace & Development in 2005. He was elected as the President of the Academy in November 2019.
In 2009 he was appointed Coordinator of the World Academy’s project on Global Employment Challenge, and authored a number of studies about employment opportunities in developing and industrialized nations.
Over the past decade he has published more than 100 articles on economic theory, money and finance, business management, education, global governance, international law, international security, social development, mind and thinking, and personality.
Jacobs has presented and participated as a keynote speaker in many conferences all over the world.
Jacobs has written extensively on the application of principles derived from Sri Aurobindo's integral philosophy of consciousness, evolution to business management, social development and psychology, including a series of published lectures on Sri Aurobindo's Life Divine. He has also written a 900-page novel entitled The Book: the spiritual individual in quest of the living organization – Codec for the Infinite Game translating these principles into a story of four entrepreneurs in quest for success in business and individual fulfillment.
- Fred Harmon and Garry Jacobs, The Vital Difference - Unleashing the Powers of Sustained Corporate Success, New York: Amacom Publications, 1985
- Garry Jacobs and Robert Macfarlane, The Vital Corporation - How American Businesses Large and Small Double Profits in Two Years or Less, New York: Prentice Hall, 1987.
- Garry Jacobs, The Book, Amazon Digital Services, Inc., May 2010
- Harlan Cleveland and Garry Jacobs, Human Choice: The Genetic Code for Social Development, Futures Research Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 9–10, November–December 1999, Pergamon, UK, p. 964
- Garry Jacobs and Ivo Šlaus, Human Capital & Sustainability, Sustainability 3, no. 1: 97-154
- Garry Jacobs, New Strategies for Planning and Development], Published in 'The Hindu', February 17, 1981
- Garry Jacobs, N. Krishnamurthy and N. Ramakrishnan, Kamadhenu: The Prosperity Movement, Southern Publishers, Chennai, 1988.
- Orio Giarini, Garry Jacobs, Bernard Lietaer and Ivo Šlaus, Introductory Paper for a Programme on The Wealth of Nations Revisited, Cadmus Volume 1, Issue 1, October 2010
- Garry Jacobs and Ivo Šlaus, Indicators of Economic Progress: The Power of Measurement and Human Welfare, Cadmus Volume 1, Issue 1, October 2010.
- Orio Giarini and Garry Jacobs, The Evolution of Wealth & Human Security: The Paradox of Value and Uncertainty, Cadmus Volume 1, Issue 3, October 2011.
- Garry Jacobs and Ivo Šlaus, From Limits to Growth to Limitless Growth, Cadmus Volume 1, Issue 4, April 2012.
- Garry Jacobs and Dr. G. Rangaswami, Prosperity 2000: Strategy to Generate 100 Million Jobs in India through Accelerated Development of Commercial Agriculture and Agro-based Industries, October 1991.
- Garry Jacobs and Ivo Šlaus, Global Prospects for Full Employment, Cadmus Volume 1, Issue 2, April 2011.
- Garry Jacobs, Manpreet Sethi and Jasjit Singh, Abolishing Nuclear Weapons, Futures, journal of policy, planning and future studies, UK, May 2007.
- Garry Jacobs and Winston P. Nagan, New Paradigm for Global Rule of Law, Cadmus Volume 1, Issue 4, April 2012
- Garry Jacobs, Lectures on Sri Aurobindo's The Life Divine, The Mother's Service Society, November 2005
- "A lesson in corporate virtue". Hindu Business Line.
- Jacobs, Garry (The Hindu). "Research Favored on New Economic Indicators". [The Hindu]. Check date values in:
- Jacobs, Garry. "New indicators of Development". The Hindu.
- "Employment Strategy for India's 8th Five Year Plan | MSS Research". mssresearch.org. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- "Model Districts Development Progam | MSS Research". mssresearch.org. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- "India Is Filling The Soft Manpower Gap | MSS Research". mssresearch.org. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- "Report on Meeting with American Telephone and Telegraph | MSS Research". mssresearch.org. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- "Report on the Establishment of Computer Training Institutes | MSS Research". mssresearch.org. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- "Prosperity 2000 - Strategy to Generate 100 Million Jobs in India | MSS Research". mssresearch.org. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- Garry, Jacobs, (1988). Kamadhenu, the prosperity movement. Southern Publ. OCLC 246551678.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- 2020., India. Committee on India Vision (2003). Planning Commission's report of the Committee on India Vision 2020 and vision documents of some states. Academic Foundation. ISBN 81-7188-302-8. OCLC 55122896.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- G., Harmon, Frederick (1990). The vital difference : unleashing the powers of sustained corporate success. Singapore Institute of Management. ISBN 981-00-2470-3. OCLC 226142206.
- Jacobs, Garry; Macfarlane, Robert (2010-03-05). The Vital Corporation: How American Businesses Large and Small Double Profits in Two Years or Less. Prentice Hall.
- "About Us". www.icpd.org. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- "Creating 100 million jobs in India | MSS Research". mssresearch.org. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- Food., International Commission on Peace and (1995). Uncommon opportunities : an agenda for peace and equitable development. Zed Books. ISBN 1-85649-305-9. OCLC 474029089.
- "The Global Job Machine | World Academy of Art & Science". worldacademy.org. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- "From Newtonian Economics to Full Employment: Need for new theory | World Academy of Art & Science". worldacademy.org. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- "Indicators of Economic Progress: The Power of Measurement and Human Welfare | Cadmus Journal". cadmusjournal.org. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- 1946-, Jacobs, Garry, (2005). Lectures on Sri Aurobindo's The life divine. Mother's Service Society. OCLC 294941174.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link) CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Jacobs, Garry. The Book: the spiritual individual in quest of the living organization - Codec for the Infinite Game.