Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Puneet Issar|
|Produced by||Sunil Mehta|
|Story by||Puneet Issar|
|Music by||Anu Malik|
|Edited by||D. N. Malik|
|Budget||₹89 million (US$1.3 million)|
|Box office||₹200 million (US$2.9 million)|
Garv: Pride and Honour (Hindi: गर्व, English: Pride) is a 2004 Indian Hindi-language action film directed by Puneet Issar. The film stars Salman Khan, Shilpa Shetty and Amrish Puri. Sunny Deol was the initial choice for Salman Khan's role, while Sanjay Dutt was considered for Arbaaz Khan's role.
The film was initially titled Sanghar.
Garv is a story of three brave and honest cops: Samar Singh (Amrish Puri), Arjun Ranawat (Salman Khan), and Hyder Ali Khan (Arbaaz Khan). Samar wants to reduce the amount of crime in the state. The trio faces obstacles because the powerful and corrupt politicians (played by Govind Namdeo, Anant Jog, and Shivaji Satam) are connected with underworld don Zafar Supari (Mukesh Rishi). The politicians decide to transfer Samar Singh while Hyder Ali is named a traitor and is killed. The goons next target Arjun by gang-raping his sister, Rakhi (Akanksha) and hurting his other family members. Arjun, in a fit of anger, kills the rapists and surrenders himself to his police colleagues. He is seen walking up the steps with police in the opening scenes of the movie. He wants to be awarded capital punishment but later the court finds the politicians wrong and lets Arjun go free.
- Salman Khan as ACP Arjun Ranawat
- Shilpa Shetty as Jannat
- Arbaaz Khan as ACP Hyder Ali Khan
- Akanksha Malhotra as Rakhi Dixit (Arjun's sister)
- Amrish Puri as Commissioner of Police Samar Singh
- Farida Jalal as Arjun's mother
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda as a Judge
- Anupam Kher as Tyagi (lawyer)
- Mukesh Rishi as Zafar Supari
- Reshma Bombaywala as Guest (Item number)
- Mohan Joshi as Kulkarni
- Shivaji Satam as Commissioner Yeshwant Deshpandey
- Vijayendra Ghatge as Chief Minister
- Govind Namdeo as Kashinath Trivedi
- Rajpal Yadav as 555 (Informer)
- Anant Jog
The movie's songs have been mainly composed by Anu Malik. 2 tracks have been composed by Sajid-Wajid. "Hum Tumko Nigahon mein", composed by Anu Malik, became extremely popular.
|1||"Hum Tumko Nigahon Mein"||Udit Narayan, Shreya Ghoshal||Anu Malik||Sajid-Wajid||06:02|
|2||"Dum Mast Mast"||Sukhwinder Singh, Sunidhi Chauhan||Anu Malik||Sajid-Wajid||05:38|
|3||"Soniye Toh Sonee"||Sukhwinder Singh, Shreya Ghoshal||Anu Malik||Sajid-Wajid||05:05|
|4||"Marhaba Marhaba"||Sunidhi Chauhan, Zubeen Garg||Anu Malik||Dev Kohli||07:05|
|5||"Chokari Patti Nahi Naukari Mili Nahi" (Khaaya Piya)||Sunidhi Chauhan, Vinod Rathod||Sajid-Wajid||Jalees Sherwani||05:48|
|6||"Saiyan Mora Saiyan"||Sunidhi Chauhan||Sajid-Wajid||Jalees Sherwani||05:57|
|7||"Fariyaad Kya Kare Ham"||Sonu Nigam||Anu Malik||Sajid-Wajid||06:17|
|8||"Tere Hai Deewana Dil"||Kumar Sanu, Anuradha Paudwal||Anu Malik||Sajid-Wajid||05:24|
According to Box office India, Garv had a "Very Good opening" and collected₹220 million (US$3.2 million) during its opening weekend in India. By the end of its first week, the film collected ₹250 million (US$3.6 million) After three weeks, the film grossed ₹750 million (US$11 million) in India.
"I think Garv was ahead of its times. For Salman, the movie had set a benchmark in terms of action sequences, drama and emotion. If it would have been released today then it would have definitely done business of Rs 200 crore," -Puneet told PTI in an interview.
- "Top Worldwide Grossers Mid Year 2011". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- "The producers thought Garv would never release". Rediff.com. 1 July 2004. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Khatta Meetha Has Good To Average Opening". Box office India. Retrieved 30 July 2010.
- "Top Twenty Opening Weekends". Box Office India. Archived from the original on 29 July 2010. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- "Khatta Meetha First Week Territorial Breakdown". Box office India. Retrieved 30 July 2010.
- "Khatta Meetha: Domestic Box Office Collections". Bollywoodtrade.com. Retrieved 23 August 2010.
- Hindustan Times Comments on the Boxoffice Collections of Garv