April 21, 1965|
|Listed height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Listed weight||185 lb (84 kg)|
|NBA draft||1988 / Round: 1 / Pick: 15th overall|
|Selected by the Seattle SuperSonics|
|Number||23, 1, 14|
|1988–1995||Los Angeles Clippers|
|1995–1996||New York Knicks|
|1997||Yakima Sun Kings|
|1998||Portland Trail Blazers|
|1999–2000||Portland Trail Blazers|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NBA statistics|
|Points||4,368 (7.9 ppg)|
|Assists||3,013 (5.5 apg)|
|Rebounds||1,283 (2.3 rpg)|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
He was selected in the 1988 NBA Draft by the Seattle SuperSonics, but his rights were traded to the Los Angeles Clippers on draft night. There he remained for seven years before moving on to the New York Knicks, the Miami Heat, and the Portland Trail Blazers. While playing for the Clippers, he was featured in the 1992 film Miracle Beach.
During the 2010–11 NCAA Division I men's basketball season while playing for the 2010–11 Michigan Wolverines team, Darius Morris surpassed Grant's school record single-season assist total set for the 1987–88 team. The following season Trey Burke broke Grant's freshman season assist total record. In the regular season finale for the 2016–17 team, Derrick Walton broke his single-game assists record. Grant continues to hold several Michigan records including career starts (128), career assists (731), career steals (total and per game), career minutes, career turnovers, single-season assists per game, single-season steals (total and per game, 1st, 2nd and 3rd places for both), single-season turnovers, and single-game steals.
Grant has three children with Tammie Grant: Taryn, Mahogany, and Piper.
- "Gary Grant - IMDb profile".
- "Postgame Notes: #3 Duke 73, Michigan 71". CBS Interactive. 2011-03-20. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- Rothstein, Michael (2012-03-01). "Burke breaks freshman assists mark: Point guard surpasses record held for more than 25 years by U-M great Gary Grant". ESPN. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- Quinn, Brendan F. (March 5, 2017). "Michigan smashes Nebraska behind Derrick Walton Jr.'s record 16 assists". MLive.com. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
- "All-Time Records". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. p. 8. Archived from the original on 2011-04-01. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- San Diego State basketball