Gary Keller (saxophonist)
Gary Keller (born October 7, 1953) is a jazz and classical saxophonist, recording artist, a lecturer at the Frost School of Music at the University of Miami, and a Conn-Selmer Artist. He has played with Woody Herman, Frank Sinatra, and Jaco Pastorius, among many over a career spanning more than two decades. He appears on numerous recordings. He has performed in the pit of Broadway orchestras and for television shows.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2013)
Gary Keller holds a Bachelor of Music (B.M.) degree from the State University of New York at Fredonia He received his Master of Music (M.M.). from the Frost School of Music at the University of Miami. Keller has studied under Joe Allard, David Liebman, Pat LaBarbera, and Bob Mover among others. He has been a professor at Frost since 1982.
Keller is the founder of the Miami Saxophone Quartet. He is a member of the South Florida Jazz Orchestra. He has performed at clubs and jazz festivals, and lectured about jazz and music performance at colleges and universities in the United States, Japan, and Europe. numerous national and international recordings, television shows, Broadway pit orchestras.
“Keller’s tunes are an exemplary bunch…A thinkers delight…extremely well done,” according to The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD. He appeared on the July/August 2002 cover of Saxophone Journal, a trade publication.
He lectures and teaches at schools around the world, and has been an Artist in Residence at the Johannes Gutenberg-Universität, Mainz and has taught and performed at the Thomas Jefferson Institute, the University of Brasilia, Brasilia, Brazil, and the IASJ Summer Workshop at the Souza Lima Conservatory in Sao Paulo, Brazil, among others.
- Manny Album
- David Baker
- Tony Bennett
- Natalie Cole
- Vic Damone
- Michael Feinstein
- Clare Fischer
- Billy Hart
- Woody Herman
- Dave Liebman
- Johnny Mathis
- Chico O'Farrill
- Jaco Pastorius
- Jim McNeely
- Adam Nussbaum
- Lou Rawls
- Troy Roberts
- Lupa Santiago
- Maria Schneider
- Frank Sinatra
- Dr. Lonnie Smith
- Ira Sullivan
- Mel Torme
- Rosanna Vitro
- Kenny Werner
- Kenny Wheeler
Bands and combos
- American Jazz Philharmonic
- Alan Baylock Big Band
- Drive By Big Band
- Woody Herman Thundering Herd
- The Jaco Pastorius Big Band
- Miami Saxophone Quartet
- Rosanna Vitro Quartet
- Word of Mouth Revisited Big Band
- Stephen Guerra Big Band
- University of Miami Concert Jazz Band
Keller has performed/recorded classical works with:
- Chamber Music Palm Beach
- Festival Orchestra of Santo Domingo
- Florida Philharmonic
- Frost Symphony Orchestra
- New World Symphony
- Naples Philharmonic
- St. Petersburg (Russia) Philharmonic
Clubs and venues
- Montreux Jazz Festival Japan, 2011
- Rochester Jazz Festival, 2010 - with the Miami Saxophone Quartet
- Scranton Jazz Festival, 2012
- Fourtified - Miami Saxophone Quartet (2008)
- Midnight Rumba - Miami Saxophone Quartet with special guests Arturo Sandoval and Jon Secada (2005)
- Miami Saxophone Quartet Live - Miami Saxophone Quartet (2003)
- Take Four Giant Steps - Miami Saxophone Quartet (2002)
- Blues For An Old New Age (1999) - Double-Time Records
With Gerry Mulligan
- Walk on the Water (DRG, 1980)
- All About Jazz. "Gary Keller @ All About Jazz". Musicians.allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "Welcome to Conn-Selmer Centerstage". Centerstage.conn-selmer.com. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "Gary W. Keller | Profiles | Frost | University of Miami". Miami.edu. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- Miami Saxophone Quartet - About Us
- Gary Keller - South Florida Jazz Orchestra Website
- "Saxophone Journal Just Out". Dornpub.com. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- Saxophone Journal July–August 2002
- "The Jazz Chord / Scale Handbook by Gary Keller from jazzbooksreviews.com". Browse.feedreader.com. 2013-03-02. Retrieved 2013-06-16.