||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
November 6, 1949 |
|Instruments||Trumpet, flugelhorn, piano, percussion, vocals|
|Associated acts||Dizzy Gillespie, Irakere, Alicia Keys, Zane Musa|
Sandoval, while still in Cuba, was influenced by jazz musicians Charlie Parker, Clifford Brown, and Dizzy Gillespie, finally meeting Gillespie later in 1977. Gillespie promptly became a mentor and colleague, playing with Arturo in concerts in Europe and Cuba and later featuring him in The United Nations Orchestra. Sandoval defected to the United States of America in Spain, while touring with Gillespie in 1990, and became a naturalized citizen in 1999.
Sandoval's life was the subject of the 2000 TV film For Love or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story, starring Andy García as Arturo Sandoval. He currently resides in Tarzana, California. Sandoval has been awarded 10 Grammy Awards, and nominated 17 times; he has also received 6 Billboard Awards and one Emmy Award.
Sandoval's raw talent has led him to associate with many musicians, but the most important is Dizzy Gillespie. Dizzy, who was a longtime proponent of Afro-Cuban music, has been referred to as a type of "spiritual father" by Sandoval. When the two trumpet players met in Cuba in 1977, Dizzy was playing impromptu gigs in the Caribbean with Stan Getz. Sandoval later said, "I went to the boat to find him. I've never had a complex about meeting famous people. If I respect somebody, I go there and try to meet them."
Sandoval's albums feature over 200 of his own compositions and arrangements, highlights including “A Mis Abuelos”, which received Grammy nominations for “Best instrumental Composition” and “Best Arrangement”. This composition was featured on his Grammy award winning album Danzon. Other highlights from Sandoval's discography featuring his compositions include: Dear Diz Every Day I Think of You (2012) Live at the Blue Note (2005), Rumba Palace (Grammy 2007) and Hot House(Grammy 1998).
In motion pictures and Television, Sandoval’s compositions and performances can be heard in the film The Mambo Kings which was nominated for a Grammy in 1992 for Best Instrumental Composition written for a Motion Picture or for Television.
Other films include:
(2013) Christmas in Conway
(2013) At Middleton
(2013) 1000 to 1
(2013) Antebellum(2013) The Resurrection of Malchus
(2013) Tightwire (short film)
(2011) Oscar's Cuba
(2010 documentary ) Sacred Waters
For Love or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story (TV movie 2000)
(1996) Mr. Wrong
(1996)The Perez Family
(TV series 1995) Lava Lava!
When HBO Films, developed a movie based on Arturo Sandoval's life, he was asked to score the entire movie which earned him his first Emmy award. In 1996, Sandoval was commissioned by the Kennedy Center Ballet to score “Pepito’s Story,” a ballet based on the book by Eugene Fern and choreographed by Debbie Allen. Sandoval also composed a classical trumpet concerto that he performed and recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra.
- 1976 - Havana - with David Amram
- 1977 - New York - with David Amram
- 1978 - The Best of Irakere - Irakere
- 1979 - Irakere - Irakere
- 1981 - Turi
- 1982 - To a Finland Station (Pablo) - with Dizzy Gillespie
- 1982 - Arturo Sandoval
- 1983 - Breaking the Sound Barrier
- 1986 - No Problem
- 1986 - Arturo Sandoval EN CONCIERTO VOL.1
- 1986 - Arturo Sandoval EN CONCIERTO VOL.2
- 1987 - Tumbaito
- 1988 - Straight Ahead
- 1989 - Classics
- 1990 - Live at the Royal Festival Hall - with Dizzy Gillespie
- 1991 - Flight to Freedom
- 1992 - I Remember Clifford
- 1993 - Dreams Come True - with Michel Legrand
- 1993 - Danzón (Dance On)
- 1993 - Passion - with Regina Belle
- 1994 - Cubano
- 1995 - Arturo Sandoval y el Tren Latino
- 1995 - Concerto
- 1995 - Arturo Sandoval & The Latin Train
- 1996 - Double Talk - with Ed Calle
- 1996 - Swingin'
- 1997 - Just Music
- 1998 - Hot House
- 1999 - Americana
- 1999 - Sunset Harbor - with Ed Calle
- 1999 - Los Elefantes - Arturo Sandoval & Wynton Marsalis
- 2000 - Ronnie Scott's Jazz House
- 2000 - For Love or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story - Soundtrack
- 2001 - Piedras Y Flores - Amaury Gutiérrez
- 2001 - L.A. Meetings
- 2001 - Swingin' For The Fences - Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band
- 2002 - My Passion for the Piano
- 2003 - From Havana With Love
- 2003 - Trumpet Evolution
- 2005 - Live at the Blue Note
- 2005 - Journey to Chateau de la Fuente
- 2007 - Rumba Palace
- 2007 - Arturo Sandoval & the Latin Jazz Orchestra
- 2009 - Featured in "The Last" album with Aventura
- 2010 - A Time for Love
- 2011 - Arturo Sandoval & WDR Big Band Mambo Nights
- 2012 - Dear Diz (Every Day I Think of You)
- 2012 - Tango - Como Yo Te Siento
- 2014 - At Middleton (film score)
- 2014 - Eternamente Manzanero with Jorge Calandrelli
- "President Obama Names Presidential Medal of Freedom Recipients". Office of the Press Secretary, The White House. August 8, 2013. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Music Hound Jazz ed. Steve Holtje, Music Hound, Nancy Ann Lee - 2001 "Sandoval returned to straight-ahead jazz with Swingin'"