Gary Myers (writer)
|Born||Gary Clayton Myers
August 15, 1952
Lynwood, California, United States
|Occupation||Short-story writer, novelist, illustrator|
When he was 17, Myers’ first story, “The House of the Worm”, appeared in a 1970 issue of The Arkham Collector, edited by Lovecraft’s friend and publisher August Derleth. Three further stories appeared in the same magazine. His first book, The House of the Worm, was a collection of Cthulhu Mythos stories in the fantasy manner of H. P. Lovecraft and Lord Dunsany; it was published by Arkham House in 1975 and is now out of print . It was illustrated by Allan Servoss.
His second book, Dark Wisdom, was a collection of Cthulhu Mythos stories in a more contemporary horror mode; it was published by Mythos Books in 2007. His third book, The Country of the Worm, was an expansion of the first, adding fifteen stories to the original ten; it was published by CreateSpace in 2013. His fourth book, Gray Magic, was his first novel, a fantasy adventure of Eibon of Mhu Thulan, a character and milieu invented by Clark Ashton Smith; it was published by CreateSpace in 2013.
His fifth book, Lovecraft's Syndrome, co-authored with wife Jennifer McIlwee Myers, was his first non-fiction work, an appraisal of the life of H. P. Lovecraft in terms of Asperger's Syndrome; it was published by CreateSpace in 2015.
Myers is the illustrator for most of his later books. He contributed ten black-and-white interior illustrations to the Mythos Books edition of Dark Wisdom. He also contributed color cover illustrations to the CreateSpace editions of The Country of the Worm, Dark Wisdom, Gray Magic and Lovecraft's Syndrome.
- Myers, Gary (1975). The House of the Worm. Sauk City, WI: Arkham House. ISBN 0-87054-071-8.
- Myers, Gary (2007). Dark Wisdom. Poplar Bluff, MO: Mythos Books. ISBN 0-9789911-3-3.
- Myers, Gary (2013). The Country of the Worm: Excursions Beyond the Wall of Sleep. CreateSpace. ISBN 9781484801970.
- Myers, Gary (2013). Dark Wisdom: Tales of the Old Ones. CreateSpace. ISBN 9781484801963.
- Myers, Gary (2013). Gray Magic: An Episode of Eibon. CreateSpace. ISBN 9781484801949.
- Myers, Gary; Myers, Jennifer McIlwee (2015). Lovecraft's Syndrome: An Asperger's Appraisal of the Writer's Life. CreateSpace. ISBN 9781502994417.