Gene Davis (politician)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Member of the Utah Senate
from the 3rd district
|Preceded by||Blaze D. Wharton|
|Member of the Utah House of Representatives
from the 30th district
|Succeeded by||Jackie Biskupski|
July 2, 1945 |
Salt Lake City, Utah
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Profession||Public Relations and Advertising|
Personal life, education, and career
Davis graduated from South High School. He then received his Bachelor of Laws from LaSalle Extension University and his Radio Operational Engineering (Electrical Engineering) degree. He worked in public relations and advertising. Davis is a widower, his wife Penny died in 2015.
Davis has served on the Sugarhouse Community Council as the past chair. He is also the past president for the Sugarhouse Rotary. Davis served in the House of Representatives from January 1, 1987 - December 31, 1998. He was elected to the Senate in 1998. In 2012, Senator Davis was elected as the Minority Leader in the senate.
In 2016, Senator Davis served on the following committees:
- Business, Economic Development, and Labor Appropriations Subcommittee
- Executive Appropriations Committee
- Retirement and Independent Entities Appropriations Subcommittee
- Senate Business and Labor Committee
- Senate Ethics Committee (Vice Chair)
- Senate Retirement and Independent Entities Committee
- Senate Revenue and Taxation Committee
- Senate Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Committee
In 2014 Senator Davis ran unopposed in the primary and general election.
2016 sponsored bills
|Bill Title and Number||Bill Status|
|S.B.77 Medicaid Expansion Proposal||Senate/Filed for bills not passed 3/10/2016|
|S.B. 247 Sale of State Land Act||Senate/Filed for bills not passed 3/10/2016|
|S.B. 253 Animal Shelter Revisions||Senate/Filed for bills not passed 3/10/2016|
|S.J.R. 7 Joint Rules Resolution On Committee Bills||Senate/Filed for bills not passed 3/10/2016|
In 2016 Senator Davis sponsored the bill SB77, which would have created full medicaid expansion for the state under the Affordable Care Act. The bill did not pass, instead Representative Dunnigan's health care bill HB437 passed.
- "Davis, Gene". Salt Lake City Utah: Utah State Senate. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "Wife of Senator Gene Davis Dies". Gephardt Daily. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- "Senate Democrats pick Gene Davis as new leader". Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "District 3 Senator - Utah State Senate". senate.utah.gov. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- "Gene Davis - Ballotpedia". ballotpedia.org. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- "2016 -- Legislation(Senate)". le.utah.gov. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- "Utah Governor Signs Medicaid Expansion Into Law". Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- Utah State Legislature - Senator Gene Davis official government website
- Project Vote Smart - Senator Gene Davis (UT) profile
- Gene Davis campaign contributions - Follow the Money
|This article about a Utah politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|