Laboratory Supply to a Science.
|Industry||Instruments, equipment, reagents and consumables, for life science research, manufacturing, analysis, discovery and diagnostics.|
|Headquarters||San Diego, California, USA|
|Ken Fry, CEO|
Jeffrey Boone, Vice President
David Ultis, Vice President
Genesee Scientific Corporation is a manufacturer and distributor of products to global life science research markets. With thousands of products available, its markets include pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, colleges, universities and secondary education institutions, medical research institutions, hospitals and reference labs and quality control, process control and research and development laboratories.
- 1995 - Genesee Scientific founded by Ken Fry.
- 2003 - Acquired United Scientific Plastics (USP), a California Bay Area distributor of laboratory plasticware.
- 2007 - Acquired Island Scientific, a Seattle area distributor of laboratory plasticware.
- 2007 - Established East Coast warehouse and offices located in Research Triangle Park, NC.
- 2009 - Acquired Continental Lab Products (CLP) brands.
- 2011 - Notable expansion of Olympus Plastics product line of tissue culture supplies.
- 2013 - Became an authorized Eppendorf distribution partner, a German-based manufacturer of instruments and consumables.
- 2016 - Notable introduction of Prometheus product line, proprietary products for protein biology research.
- 2017 - Launched GenClone product line, a full line of cell culture media products centered around ultra-pure, high-performance fetal bovine sera.
The company has innovated the UPrep column used in deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) purification. The idea behind the UPrep column, is that most, if not all, nucleic acid purification or clean-up kits come equipped with 10-15% more reagent volume than is actually needed for the number of columns the kit contains. This means that for a kit with 100 columns, you end up with enough reagent for another 10 to 15 preps after you run out of columns. Normally, this excess reagent is tossed out. UPrep columns allow you to use this extra reagent for additional preps.
Genesee Scientific has also been responsible for developing Blue Devil autoradiography film which produces exceptional clarity and sharpness with extremely low backgrounds. Blue Devil Film is used for blotting, sequencing, chemiluminescent autoradiography (ecl) and gel shift analysis. It is designed for use with 14C, 35S, 32P, and 125I.
Genesee Scientific has been awarded three patents by the United States Patent and Trademark Office for its revolutionary Drosophila vial racking system (patent numbers D673,296 S; 8,136,679 B2; and 8,430,251 B2). This Drosophila vial racking system significantly decreases time spent racking vials and is more environmentally friendly compared to traditional vial packaging configurations.
Genesee Scientific has also developed the first atlas of Drosophila phenotypic markers available on mobile devices. Genesee the Drosophila App is a free tool providing researchers with a quick reference to various Drosophila phenotypes and is a valuable teaching tool for new Drosophila researchers.
- Genesee Scientific (Reg. #: 3934361)
- Flystuff, Drosophila research supplies and equipment (Reg. #: 5617401)
- Flugs, cellulose acetate closures for vials (Reg. #: 3153821)
- Invictus, Incubators (Reg. #: 5617401)
- GenClone, high-performance cell culture media products (Reg. #: 5322208 )
- Gene Choice, competent cells for cloning (Reg. #: 4217346)
- NEXT-GEN, latex and nitrile exam gloves (Reg. #: 3439167)
- UPrep, spin columns for DNA and RNA purification (Reg. #: 3153821)
- Prometheus, proprietary protein biology research products (Reg. #: 5322104)
- SECadex, size exclusion chromatography media (Reg. #: 5322241)
- ProSignal, electrophoresis, blotting, and detection reagents; X-ray film (Reg. #: 5322254))
- Apex provides a variety of chemicals & reagents to the life science industry.
- Blue Devil provides film is used for autoradiography, Western blotting, sequencing, chemiluminescence and gel shift analysis.
- Flystuff provides products and services specifically for the Drosophila research community.
- Gene Choice provides competent cells for cloning applications.
- GenClone provides cell culture media, sera (FBS), buffers, and reagents for cell and tissue culture.
- Nutri-fly provides nutrient balanced media formulations specifically for Drosophila melanogaster.
- Olympus Plastics provides plasticware for general liquid handling and cell and tissue culture applications.
- Poseidon provides ergonomic liquid handling equipment including precision pipettes and pipet controllers.
- Prometheus provides protein separation/purification resins and Western blotting reagents and consumables.
- TITAN provides powder-free nitrile and latex examination gloves.
- UPrep provides spin columns for DNA and RNA (nucleic acid) purification.
Following is a list of links to articles published in scientific journals that cite Genesee Scientific:
- Miller, JA; Carmichael, A; Ramírez, MJ; Spagna, JC; Haddad, CR; Rezác, M; Johannesen, J; Král, J; Wang, XP; Griswold, CE. "Phylogeny of entelegyne spiders: Affinities of the family Penestomidae (NEW RANK), generic phylogeny of Eresidae, and asymmetric rates of change in spinning organ evolution (Araneae, Araneoidea, Entelegynae)". Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 55: 786–804. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2010.02.021. PMID 20206276.
- Suissa, S; Wang, Z; Poole, J; et al. (May 2009). "Ancient mtDNA Genetic Variants Modulate mtDNA Transcription and Replication". PLoS Genetics. 5: e1000474. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1000474. PMC 2673036. PMID 19424428.
- Díaz-Castillo, C; Xia, XQ; Ranz, JM. "Evaluation of the Role of Functional Constraints on the Integrity of an Ultraconserved Region in the Genus Drosophila". PLoS Genetics. 8: e1002475. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1002475. PMC 3271063. PMID 22319453.
- Goda, T; Mirowska, K; Currie, J; Kim, MH; Rao, NV; Bonilla, G; Wijnen, H. "Adult Circadian Behavior in Drosophila Requires Developmental Expression of cycle, But Not period". PLoS Genetics. 7: e1002167. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1002167. PMC 3131292. PMID 21750685.
- Burd, CE; Jeck, WR; Liu, Y; Sanoff, HK; Wang, Z; Sharpless, NE. "Expression of Linear and Novel Circular Forms of an INK4/ARF-Associated Non-Coding RNA Correlates with Atherosclerosis Risk". PLoS Genetics. 6: e1001233. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1001233. PMC 2996334. PMID 21151960.
- http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2010/04/08/rsbl.2010.0223.full.html[permanent dead link]
- Campa, Michael (2007). UPrep Universal Spin Filter Column. Retrieved March 19, 2008 from Biocompare
- Dell, Emily A., Bowman, Daniel, Rufty,Thomas, Shi, Wei. "Intensive Management Affects Composition of Betaproteobacterial Ammonia Oxidizers in Turfgrass Systems." Microbial Ecology. October 14, 2007. Accessed on April 21, 2008 from SpringerLink