George Bowyer, 1st Baron Denham
Bowyer was educated at Eton and Oxford and was called to the Bar in 1910. He married Daphne Mitford, daughter of Algernon Freeman-Mitford, 1st Baron Redesdale, on 27 February 1919, They had three children:
- Richard Laurence Grenville Bowyer (17 February 1920 – 29 January 1943), killed during World War II.
- Peggy Bowyer (b. 18 May 1925).
- Bertram Stanley Mitford Bowyer, 2nd Baron Denham (b. 3 October 1927), known as "Bertie"
Bowyer was active in local government and was president of the Urban District Councils Association. At the 1918 general election he was elected as Member of Parliament (MP) for Buckingham. He served as a whip for many years. He was vice-chair of the Conservative Party and became Comptroller of the Household in 1935.
- Burke's Peerage & Gentry; and Hons & Cousins by FJ Mitford, 2006.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs [self-published source][better source needed]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by George Bowyer
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir Harry Verney
|Member of Parliament for Buckingham
1918 – 1937
Sir Victor Warrender, 8th Bt
|Comptroller of the Household
Sir Lambert Ward
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Baron Denham
1937 – 1948
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
(of Weston Underwood)
1933 – 1948