George Conrades is the former Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Akamai Technologies. Prior to Akamai, Conrades served as CEO of BBN Technologies. Before joining BBN he spent 31 years at IBM, running its U.S. and Asia-Pacific businesses and heading two manufacturing and development groups. Mr. Conrades currently serves on the Board of Directors of Oracle Corporation. He has also served on the Boards of Ironwood Pharmaceuticals and Harley-Davidson.
Conrades was also an executive producer of the 2013 documentary film 20 Feet from Stardom, which won the 2014 Academy award for Best Documentary. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is married to Patricia “Patsy” Belt Conrades.
Conrades spent his childhood in Youngstown, Ohio, during the 1950s.
In 1961, he received his B.S. degree in Physics and Mathematics from Ohio Wesleyan University, and received the M.B.A. from the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business in 1971. He was going to join a rock band after his graduation, but took the position of a sales representative in Big Blue, Columbus, Ohio.
After 10 years at IBM, Conrades got a sales management position in Chicago and inherited the company's fifth largest account, Sears, Roebuck & Co.
In 1971, he entered for the Executive MBA Program North America at Booth. The program provided broad perspectives of business.
The MBA helped Conrades to make a good career at IBM. He took top management positions at IBM for more than two decades. Conrades advanced to the rank of senor vice president and member of the Corporate Management Board. But by late 1980s, IBM faced contest in technological businesses. In 1992, Conrades left his top management position.
Conrades formed a technology consulting firm in the advanced R&D company Bolt, Beranek and Newman (BBN). The company was based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. BBN became an early internet service provider.
- Rogers, Bruce (20 May 2014). "Tom Leighton's Journey From MIT Professor to Akamai CEO". Forbes.com. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Rifkin, Glenn (February 27, 1994). "It's Not I.B.M. and It's Not Big, But He's Got Big Ideas". The New York Times (February 27, 1994). Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Nicholas, Carr. "On the Edge: An Interview with Akamai's George Conrades". Harvard Business Review (May 2000). Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Board of Directors". Oracle Corporation. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Board of Directors". Ironwood Pharmaceuticals. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Leadership". Harley-Davidson. Archived from the original on 7 January 2015. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Debruge, Peter (18 January 2014). "Review: 'Twenty Feet From Stardom'". Variety. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Twenty Feet From Stardom". IMBD. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Mr. George Henry Conrades". American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Hatcher, Cole. "Internet Technology Pioneer to Speak at Ohio Wesleyan Graduation Ceremony". Connect2 OWU (15 March 2013). Ohio Wesleyan University. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- Rolfes, Rebecca (Spring 2014). "Managing the Big Idea". Chicagobooth. Retrieved 24 March 2018.