||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
George-Cristian Maior (November 16, 1967, Cluj-Napoca) is a Romanian politician and diplomat. He was a member of the Romanian Parliament, elected as a senator from the Social Democrat Party. He was the head of the Romanian Intelligence Service between October 2006 – January 2015. His father is Liviu Maior, Minister of Education (1992-1996) and ambassador in Canada.
George Cristian Maior was born on November 16, 1967. He is the son of the Romanian historian Liviu MaiorLiviu Maior. He graduated the Law Faculty of Babeș-Bolyai University in Cluj-Napoca (1988-1991) and in 1992 he obtained a Master of Arts in International and Comparative Law from the Faculty of Comparative Law of George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
In 1998, he obtained the doctoral title in International Law at the Babeș-Bolyai University in Cluj-Napoca, with the thesis “National and European in the jurisprudence of the Strasbourg European Court” which was nominated for the Most Prize awarded by UNESCO. In 2001 he graduated the Defence National College from Bucharest.
After graduating the Master in 1992, he works as a diplomat in the Romanian Foreign Affairs Ministry, between 1997-1999 being appointed as chargé d'affaires at the Romanian Embassy in Ireland. After winning of the elections by the Social Democrat Party, George Maior has been appointed as State Secretary and Head of the Euro-Atlantic and Defense Policy Department of the National Defense Ministry. From this position, he led the NATO joining negotiations, concluded with a successful active integration of Romania in the Alliance and signed several contracts for the acquisition of military equipment (2 frigates and numerous flying equipments). On August 24, 2004 he received the diplomatic rank of Ambassador.
At the elections that took place in November 200 he was elected as a senator for the Alba County, on the PSD lists. In this quality he was chairman of the National Security, Public Order and Defense Committee of the Senate of the Romanian Parliament (June 2005 – 5 October 2006), vice-president of the Committee for the investigation of allegations regarding the existence of CIA detention centers on Romanian soil, member in the Committee for Human Rights, minorities and cults, member of the joint Standing Committee of the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate for the exercise of parliamentary control over the activity of the Foreign Intelligence Service and member of the Romanian Parliament’s delegation at the Occidental European Union’s Gathering. In November 2005 he was the only Romanian guest at the international conference “Information in the XXI century”. He resigned from the Romanian Parliament on October 5, 2006, being replaced by Liliana Lucia Tomoiagă.
On the October 4th 2006 George Maior has been validated by both the Romanian Parliaments’ Chambers as Head of the Romanian Intelligence Service with 285 votes “for” and 123 “against” from the total of 408, after initially had received 7 out of 9 favorable votes in the specialized committee of the Parliament. He was appointed in the Decision no. 32 of the Romanian Parliament.
George Maior has published papers and articles referring to human rights, public law concepts, as well as global defense policies. George Maior is the Godfather of the couple Victor Ponta and Daciana Sarbu.
As recognition of his competence and professionalism proved during the process of reforming and developing of Romania, the following distinctions have been awarded to George Maior:
- Doctor Honoris Causa awarded by Military Technical Academy (July, 28th 2015)
- Doctor Honoris Causa awarded by Andrei Saguna University from Constanta (Mai, 5th 2015)
- Doctor Honoris Causa Beneficiorum Publicorum awarded by Universitatea de Vest from Timișoara (October, 3rd 2014)
- Order of Legion of Honour, Chevalier (Knight), awarded by the president of France (April 2014)
- Order of the Star of Romania, Commodore rank (March 2013)
- Order of the Star of Romania, Officer rank (March 2010)
- Order of the Star of Romania, Knight rank (December 2008)
- Order of Faithful Service, Knight rank (November 2002) 
- Meritorious Service Medal of Alabama awarded by the governor of Alabama
- 1998: his doctoral thesis “National and European in the jurisprudence of the Strasbourg European Court” was nominated for the Most Prize awarded by UNESCO.
- 2004: honorific diploma awarded by the Military Technical Academy for outstanding merits in sustaining, development and modernizing of the military polytechnic education system and of the university scientific research system.
- 2009: Romanian Book Fair (Salonul Cărții Românești) special prize, awarded at Iași, for the book "Noul Aliat – regândirea politicii de apărare a României la începutul secolului XXI” (The New Ally - rethinking Romania's defense policy at the beginning of the 21st century), RAO publishing, București;
- 2012: prize awarded by the "Balcanii și Europa" magazine for "vocation for security and international cooperation in the field of security";
- 2013: "Intelligence" magazine prize awarded for "outstanding contributions to the development of security awareness"
- 2013: Excellence Award of the National Defense College Foundation;
- 2014: award of the Civic Excellence Gala "among people", sponsored by the Romanian Academy, in the field of "diplomacy and security policy".
- Despre intelligence (On intelligence), 2014 
- Spion pentru eternitate. Frank Wisner (Spy for eternity. Frank Wisner), 2014 
- Incertitudine. Gândire strategică și relații internaționale în secolul XXI (Uncertainty. Strategic thinking and international relations in the 21st century), second edition, RAO Publishing, Bucharest, 2014;
- coordinator Spionii – cine sunt, ce fac? (Spies - who are they, what do they do?), RAO Publishing, Bucharest, 2013;
- coordinator Ars Analytica – provocări și tendințe în analiza de intelligence (Ars Analytica - challenges and tendencies in intelligence analysis), RAO Publishing, Bucharest, 2013;
- Noul Aliat – regândirea politicii de apărare a României la începutul secolului XXI, (The New Ally - rethinking Romania's defense policy at the beginning of the 21st century), (second edition, revised and updated), RAO Publishing, Bucharest, 2012;
- co-editor Cunoaștere strategică în zona extinsă a Mării Negre (Strategic Knowledge in the Wider Black Sea Area), RAO Publishing, Bucharest, 2011;
- coordinator Un Război al Minții – Intelligence, servicii de informații și cunoaștere strategică în secolul XXI (A mind war - Intelligence, Secret Services and Strategic Knowledge in the 21st Century), RAO Publishing, Bucharest, 2010;
- Incertitudine – Gândire strategică și relații internaționale în secolul XXI (Uncertainty. Strategic thinking and international relations in the 21st century), RAO Publishing, Bucharest, 2009;
- Noul aliat - regândirea politicii de apărare a României la începuturile secolului XXI (The New Ally - rethinking Romania's defense policy at the beginning of the 21st century), (RAO Publishing, Bucharest, 2009) 
- Co-author Intelligence and Human Rights in the Era of Global Terrorism, Stanford University Press; (re-edited), 2008;
- Transformarea politicii de apărare a României. Trei teme de reflecție strategică, Occasional Paper 5 (III). Bucharest: Institute for Political Defense Studies and Military History, 2004;
- România - o perspectivă asupra reformei interne și a integrării în NATO (Romania - a perspective on internal reform and on NATO integration), published in Defense Policy Trends in the 21st Century, Center for Security Studies (CSS), Zurich, Switzerland, 2003;
- Defence Policy Developments: Old and New Missions for the Armed Forces in The European Officer and the Challenge of the New Missions, Institute of Social Sciences, Miklos Zrinyi National Defense University Press, Budapest, 2002;
- editor Bridging the Gap in Civil-Military Relation: Democratization, Reform, and Security, Enciclopedica Publishing, Bucharest, 2002;
- Globalization of Civil-Military Relations: Democratisation, Reform and Security, Enciclopedica Publishing, Bucharest, 2002;
- Dunărea, securitatea și cooperarea europeană în secolul XXI (The Danube, security and European cooperation in the 21st century) (bilingual edition Romanian-English), Enciclopedica Publishing, Bucharest, 2002;
- Riscuri, provocări și oportunități în spațiul Mării Negre (Risks, challenges and opportunities in the Black Sea area) (edited in cooperation with J.F.Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University), Monitorul Oficial Publishing, Bucharest, 2002;
- Concepts of European public law, Enciclopedica Publishing, Bucharest, 1997.
- Author of foreword and chapter in 7 teme fundamentale pentru România (& fundamental themes for Romania), by Dungaciu, Iuga, Stoian (editors), RAO Publishing, Bucharest, 2014;
- Author of foreword and study in Cum se conduce o țară – ghid antic pentru liderii moderni. Marcus Tullius Cicero (How to Run a Country - An Ancient Guide for Modern Leaders), by Philip Freeman, RAO Publishing, Bucharest, 2013;
- Co-author Intelligence and Human Rights in the Era of Global Terrorism, Praeger Security International, Westport, Connecticut, London, 2007;
- Co-author Reforma Militară Românească și Integrarea în NATO (Romanian Military Reform and NATO integration) (published in English), Center Romanian Studies; Oxford Press, Palm Beach, Portland, 2002;
- Author of foreword Bătălia pentru NATO. Raport personal ("Battle for NATO. Personal report"), by Ioan Mircea Pașcu, second edition, RAO Publishing House, Bucharest, 2014;,
- Author of foreword Winston Churchill. Tânărul titan ("Winston Churchill. The Young Titan"), by Michael Selden, RAO Publishing House, Bucharest, 2014;
- Author of foreword Ținuturi de frontieră – o călătorie geopolitică în Eurasia ("Border lands - a Geopolitical Journey in Eurasia"), by George Friedman, RAO Publishing House, Bucharest, 2013,
- Author of foreword Lev Troțki – o viață de revoluționar ("Leon Trotsky - a revolutionary's life"), by Joshua Rubenstein, RAO Publishing House, Bucharest, Eikon Publishing House, Cluj – Napoca, 2013;
- Author of foreword Analiza de intelligence – o abordare din perspectiva teoriilor schimbării (Intelligence Analysis - An Approach from the Perspective of the Theory of Change"), by Ionel Nițu, RAO Publishing House, Bucharest, 2012;
- Author of foreword Eminența Sa, Cardinalul Richelieu și ascensiunea Franței (Eminence: Cardinal Richelieu and the Rise of France) (in Romanian), by Jean-Vincent Blanchard, Eikon Publishing House, Cluj – Napoca, 2012;,
- Author of foreword Ironia isoriei americane ("The Irony of American History"), by Reinhold Niebuhr, RAO Publishing House, Bucharest, 2012;
- Author of foreword Bismarck – O viață (Bismarck - A Life) (in Romanian) by Steinberg Jonathan, Eikon Publishing House, Cluj – Napoca, 2012;
- Author of foreword Războiul tăcut. Introducere în universul informațiilor secrete ("The Silent War. Introduction in the Secret Intelligence Universe") (in Romanian), by Shulsky Abram și Schmitt Gary, Polirom Publishing House, Iași, 2008;
- Author of foreword 5 ani în fruntea DST. Misiunea imposibilă ("Five years Leading DST. The Impossible Mission"), by Jean Rochet, Romanian Cultural Foundation, Bucharest, 2008;
- Author of foreword Destrămarea națiunilor – ordine și haos în secolul XXI ("The Breaking of Nations - Order and Chaos in the Twenty-First Century") (in Romanian), by Robert Cooper, Univers Enciclopedic Publishing House, Bucharest, 2007;
- Decret nr.961 din 28 noiembrie 2002 privind conferirea unor decorații naționale
- GAUDEAMUS . Șeful SRI, George Maior, și-a lansat volumele „Despre intelligence” și „Spion pentru eternitate. Frank Wisner”, 21 noiembrie 2014, Petrisor Cana, Evenimentul zilei, accesat la 21 noiembrie 2014
- Lansare de carte: 'Noul aliat' de George Cristian Maior, 18 iunie 2009, Tudor Cristian, Amos News, accesat la 23 iunie 2013
- Recenzie: Despre Romania, NATO si terorism, cu seful SRI, 20 martie 2009, Ziare.com, accesat la 23 ianuarie 2014