George Fiddes Watt
- Not to be confused with George Frederic Watts.
|George Fiddes Watt|
|Born||15 February 1873
|Died||22 November 1960
|Education||Gray's School of Art
Royal Scottish Academy
|Known for||Portrait painting, engraving|
|Notable work||H.H. Asquith, A.J. Balfour...|
|Elected||Royal Society of Arts|
George Fiddes Watt (15 February 1873 – 22 November 1960) was a Scottish portrait painter and engraver.
|This section requires expansion. (October 2012)|
Watt studied art at Gray's School of Art, Edinburgh and the Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh. He was elected to the Royal Society of Arts (RSA) in 1924 and received an honorary LL.D. degree from the University of Aberdeen in 1955.
Watt was sculpted by Henry Snell Gamley in 1912, Watt's son Albert having been sculpted by Gamley four years previously. A bronze statue of Watt by Thomas Bayliss Huxley-Jones, made in 1942, is in Aberdeen.
- H.H. Asquith
- A.J. Balfour (National Portrait Gallery)
- Edward Grey, 1st Viscount Grey of Fallodon
Collections and exhibitions
His third son, Alexander Stuart Watt (1909–1967) was a journalist based in Paris. Alastair Fiddes Watt (b. 1954) is also a landscape painter.
- "George Fiddes Watt". Tate Gallery. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Family of Alastair Fiddes Watt: George Fiddes Watt RSA RP LLD". Wattart.com. 2001–2007. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- Mapping the Practice and Profession of Sculpture in Britain and Ireland 1851–1951 http://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/person.php?id=msib6_1210158597
- "George Fiddes Watt, 1942". Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museums. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- Watt, George Fiddes (1901). "J. P. Inverarity Mauled by a Lioness, Somaliland". BBC. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- Walker, Sir Emery, after (George) Fiddes Watt (early 20th century). "(George) Fiddes Watt, Portrait Painter". Arthur James Balfour, 1st Earl of Balfour, photogravure. National Portrait Gallery. Retrieved 6 October 2012. Check date values in:
- Watt, George Fiddes. "Edward Grey, 1st Viscount Grey of Falloden (1862–1933) Foreign Secretary". Government Art Collection. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- Thomas Martin Lindsay, portrait by George Fiddes Watt at bbc.co.uk/arts/, accessed 19 June 2013
- Macbeth-Raeburn, Henry (artist); Watt, George Fiddes (engraver) (1917). "Robert Bannatyne Finlay, 1st Viscount Finlay (1842–1929), Lord Chancellor". Government Art Collection. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- Chamot, Mary; Farr, Dennis; Butlin, Martin. The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II.
- Sutherland, D.M. (2004–2011). "Fiddes Watt, Index no 101036779". Watt, (George) Fiddes (1873–1960), portrait painter. Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- 86 Paintings by George Fiddes Watt at the BBC Your Paintings site
- Wattart.com: Family: George Fiddes Watt
- Invaluable: George Fiddes Watt
- Aberdeen Art Gallery: portrait of George Fiddes Watt, 1911