George Mann (writer)
He is a former editor of Outland Magazine, and has also edited a number of anthologies including The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction (Volumes 1, 2 and 3), The Solaris Book of New Fantasy and two retrospective collections of Sexton Blake stories, Sexton Blake, Detective, which has an introduction by Michael Moorcock and Sexton Blake, Crime Fighter.
He has also written numerous short stories, and original Doctor Who novels. He is contracted to write a new Sherlock Holmes audiobook as well. The novels The Affinity Bridge and The Osiris Ritual marked the beginning of his "Newbury and Hobbes" detective series.
Newbury & Hobbes and The Ghost
Mann has published three novels and several stories subtitled A Newbury & Hobbes- or A Maurice Newbury investigation. These are steampunk adventures, set in Victorian England, featuring Sir Maurice Newbury, a gentleman "investigator for the Crown" (reminiscent of Mycroft Holmes), and his assistant Miss Veronica Hobbes who, unbeknownst to him, is an agent of the Queen as well. This is an ongoing series that will consist of at least six novels. Fourth book in the Newbury & Hobbes series is set to be published on June 28, 2013 and will be called The Executioner's Heart.
In November 2012, Obverse Books released a Newbury and Hobbes Annual, with contents modelled on the World Distributor Annuals which were popular in the UK in the 70s and 80s. The Annual contains new stories, a boardgame, crossword and a comic strip, in the same manner as those earlier annuals.
Although not part of the Newbury & Hobbes series, Mann successfully continued to expand upon its setting with the novel Ghosts of Manhattan and its sequel Ghosts of War which are set in New York during the Roaring Twenties; a future version of the Newbury & Hobbes universe. This series Mann has named The Ghost.
- The Human Abstract (ISBN 978-1903889657) (Telos, 2004)
- Sherlock Holmes: The Will of the Dead (ISBN 978-1781160015 (Titan Books, 2013)
- Sherlock Holmes: The Spirit Box (Titan Books, 2014)
- Paradox Lost (ISBN 978-1849902359) (BBCbooks, 2011)
- Engines of War (ISBN 978-1849908481) (BBCbooks, 2014)
The Ghosts series
- Ghosts of Manhattan (ISBN 978-1616141943) (Pyr, 2010)
- Ghosts of War (ISBN 978-1616143671) (Pyr, 2011)
- Ghosts of Karnak (Titan Books, 2016)
Newbury & Hobbes series
- The Affinity Bridge (ISBN 978-1905005888) (Snowbooks, 2008)
- "The Hambleton Affair" (Newbury and Hobbes short story) – appeared in the hardcover edition of The Affinity Bridge, free PDF available for download
- "The Shattered Teacup" (Snowbooks, 2010) (free PDF eBook/Audiobook download)*
- The Osiris Ritual (ISBN 978-1906727048) (Snowbooks, 2009)
- "What Lies Beneath" (short story), free PDF available for download
- The Immorality Engine (ISBN 978-1906727185) (Snowbooks, 2011)
- The Executioner's Heart (ISBN 978-1781160053) (Titan Books, 2013)
- The Revenant Express (ISBN ) (Tor Books, 2017)
Time Hunter series
- The Severed Man (ISBN 978-1903889435) (Telos, 2004)
- Child of Time (ISBN 978-1845831042)(Telos, 2007) (with David J Howe)
- "Methuselah" in Short Trips: Transmissions (Big Finish, 2008)
- "The Hambleton Affair" (Newbury and Hobbes short story) (Snowbooks, 2008; appeared in the hardcover edition of The Affinity Bridge]
- "The Shattered Teacup" (Newbury and Hobbes short story) (Snowbooks, 2010)
- "The Cull" in The Obverse Book of Ghosts (Obverse Books, 2010)
- "Annabel Regina" in Iris: Abroad (Obverse Books, 2010)
- "Rise and Fall" in Short Trips: Volume 1 (Big Finish, 2010)
- "The Albino's Shadow" in Zenith Lives! (Obverse Books, 2011)
Short story collections
- The Sacrificial Pawn and Other Stories (Obverse Books, 2011)
- The Newbury & Hobbes Annual 2013 (Obverse Books, 2012)
- The Casebook of Newbury & Hobbes (ISBN 978-1781167427) (Titan Books, 2013)
- The Mammoth Encyclopedia of Science Fiction (ISBN 978-1841191775) (2001)
- The Gollancz Encyclopedia of SF Technology (ISBN 978-0575074217) (Gollancz, 2006)
- The Pyralis Effect (Doctor Who: The Companion Chronicles) (ISBN 978-1844354276) (Big Finish, 2010)
- The Shattered Teacup (Newbury and Hobbes) (Snowbooks, 2010)
- Helion Rain (Warhammer 40000) (ISBN 184-9700176) (The Black Library, 2011)
- Child of Time (Time Hunter) (ISBN 978-1906263218) (Fantom Films Limited, 2011)
- Labyrinth of Sorrows (ISBN 978-1849701327) (The Black Library, 2012)
The Shattered Teacup was offered as a free download by Snowbooks, it has however since been removed from their website
- The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction (ISBN 978-1844164486) (Solaris, 2007)
- The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction, Volume Two (ISBN 978-1844165421) (Solaris, 2008)
- The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction, Volume Three (ISBN 978-1844167098)(Solaris, 2009)
- The Solaris Book of New Fantasy (ISBN 978-1844165230) (Solaris, 2007)
- The Solaris Book of New Fantasy II (ISBN 978-1844167609) (Solaris, 2009)
- Sexton Blake: Detective (ISBN 978-1906727413) (Snowbooks, 2009)
- Sexton Blake, Crime Fighter (ISBN 978-1906727499) (Snowbooks, 2010)
- Encounters of Sherlock Holmes (ISBN 978-1781160039) (Titan Books, 2013)
- Further Encounters of Sherlock Holmes (ISBN 978-1781160046) (Titan Books, 2014)
- Harrison, Adelle (January 17, 2011). "Alt Fiction Weekender". Left Lion Magazine. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
In February, we have... Nottinghamshire's own steampunk writer George Mann taking part
- "authors/". Solaris Books.
- "About George Mann /". Snowbooks.
- "The Human Abstract". Telos Publishing.
- "Time Hunter Novellas". Telos Publishing.
- Holmes Released "Holmes Released" Check
value (help). bigfinish.com.
- "George Mann's Newbury and Hobbes six volumes all contracted for publication". Fantasy Book Critic.
- Kelly, James Floyd (October 25, 2011). "More Steampunk Conspiracy With The Immorality Engine". Wired. Retrieved February 23, 2012.
- "George Mann - The Executioner's Heart (Newbury & Hobbes 4) cover art reveal".
- "The Ghost". George Mann.
- "The Hambleton Affair" (PDF).
- "The Shattered Teacup" (PDF).
- "What Lies Beneath" (PDF).