Brooklyn, New York
|Known for||Research on human body odors and TMAU|
|Institutions||Monell Chemical Senses Center|
Dr. George Preti is an analytical organic chemist currently working at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For more than four decades, his research has focused on the nature, origin and functional significance of human odors. Dr. Preti's laboratory has identified characteristic underarm odorants, and his current studies center upon a bioassay-guided approach to the identification of human pheromones, odors diagnostic of human disease, human malodor identification and suppression and examining the “odor-print” of humans.
George Preti was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. He received his B.S. in Chemistry from the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn in 1966, and his Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry in 1971 from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, with a specialty in Organic Mass Spectrometry in the laboratory of Professor Klaus Biemann. That same year he joined the Monell Center. Dr. Preti is also currently an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Dermatology of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
In addition to dozens of peer-reviewed research articles, Dr. Preti holds more than a dozen patents related to deodorance, odor mediated control of the menstrual cycle and the use of odors in disease diagnosis. His unique area of research has resulted in hundreds of clinician-directed referrals of patients with an idiopathic body and oral malodor production problems. His efforts in this area have revealed a large, undiagnosed population of people suffering from trimethylaminuria (TMAU), an odor-producing genetic disorder.
- Johnson, A. T. Charlie; Khamis, Samuel M.; Preti, George; Kwak, Jae; Gelperin, Alan (2010). "DNA-Coated Nanosensors for Breath Analysis". IEEE Sensors Journal. 10 (1): 159–66. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2009.2035670.
- Kwak, J.; Willse, A.; Preti, G.; Yamazaki, K.; Beauchamp, G. K. (2010). "In search of the chemical basis for MHC odourtypes". Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 277 (1693): 2417–25. doi:10.1098/rspb.2010.0162. PMC 2894918. PMID 20356897.
- Preti, George; Leyden, James J (2010). "Genetic Influences on Human Body Odor: From Genes to the Axillae". Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 130 (2): 344–6. doi:10.1038/jid.2009.396. PMID 20081888.
- Wysocki, Charles J.; Preti, George (2010). "Human pheromones: What's purported, what's supported" (PDF). Sense of Smell Institute. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-06-19.
- Kwak, Jae; Opiekun, Maryanne Curran; Matsumura, Koichi; Preti, George; Yamazaki, Kunio; Beauchamp, Gary K. (2009). "Major histocompatibility complex-regulated odortypes: Peptide-free urinary volatile signals". Physiology & Behavior. 96 (1): 184–8. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2008.10.003. PMID 18957300.
- Miyazawa, Toshio; Gallagher, Michele; Preti, George; Wise, Paul M. (2009). "Odor Detection of Mixtures of Homologous Carboxylic Acids and Coffee Aroma Compounds by Humans". Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 57 (21): 9895–901. doi:10.1021/jf901453r. PMID 19817417.
- Miyazawa, T.; Gallagher, M.; Preti, G.; Wise, P. M. (2009). "Psychometric Functions for Ternary Odor Mixtures and Their Unmixed Components". Chemical Senses. 34 (9): 753–61. doi:10.1093/chemse/bjp062. PMC 2762054. PMID 19773409.
- Miyazawa, Toshio; Gallagher, Michelle; Preti, George; Wise, Paul M. (2009). "Methodological Factors in Odor Detection by Humans". Chemosensory Perception. 2 (4): 195. doi:10.1007/s12078-009-9060-6.
- Booth, William (1990-08-28). "Scientists Follow Scent to Underarm Discovery". The Washington Post.
- Biemann, Klaus (1994). "The massachusetts institute of technology mass spectrometry school". Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry. 5 (5): 332. doi:10.1016/1044-0305(94)85048-8.
- Search Results for author Preti G on PubMed.
- "Justia Patents". Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- Bunn, Austin (2000-10-15). "The War on Stink". The New York Times.
- Avril, Tom (2007-04-09). "Chemist helps folks whose body odor's a bit fishy". The Philadelphia Inquirer.
- "The Model Who Smells Like Dead Fish". ABC News. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
|This biographical article about an American chemist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|