||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
George Tobin is an American record producer who has produced albums for a long list of musical artists including Robert John, Smokey Robinson, Kim Carnes, Kicking Harold, and PC Quest. He is best known, however, for discovering, managing, and producing the teenage singer Tiffany and showcasing her in malls across the country. From the 1980s, Tobin owned a large recording studio complex in North Hollywood, California, which was frequently rented by people making demo tapes and radio commercials. Tiffany was recording a demo at the studio at age 12 when Tobin heard her and decided that she could be a star; soon, he was managing and producing her. Under Tobin's management, Tiffany released two very successful albums, (Tiffany and Hold an Old Friend's Hand), and toured for two years with New Kids on the Block. In 1993 she recorded one more album (Dreams Never Die) under Tobin's production.
In the 1990s, he pursued business ventures in Las Vegas, Nevada, including buying radio station KEDG the Edge. By 2005 his businesses, George Tobin Music and Headliner Records, were based in Las Vegas and Boca Raton, Florida. In 2005 Tobin released Tiffany's album Dreams Never Die (previously released only in Asia), adding six bonus tracks from early Tiffany recording sessions at Tobin's studio.
Some albums and songs produced by Tobin
- Kim Carnes, Romance Dance (Produced in association with Mike Piccirillo) - single "More Love" #10
- Natalie Cole, Happy Love, (Produced in association with Mike Piccirillo)
- Robert John, self-titled album - (Produced in association with Mike Piccirillo) - single "Sad Eyes" #1
- New Edition, All For Love - single "With You All The Way" #2 R&B
- PC Quest, self-titled album & Directions - (Produced in association with Mike Piccirillo), single "After The Summer's Gone" #41
- Smokey Robinson, Being With You (Produced in association with Mike Piccirillo) - single "Being With You" #1 R&B, #2 pop (3 weeks)
- Smokey Robinson, Yes It's You Lady (Produced in association with Mike Piccirillo) - single "Tell Me Tomorrow" #1 R&B, #33 pop
- Tiffany, self-titled album - singles "Could've Been" #1, "I Think We're Alone Now" #1, "I Saw Him Standing There" #7
- Tiffany, Hold an Old Friend's Hand - single "All This Time" #6
- Tiffany, Dreams Never Die - single "If Love is Blind"
- A note from George Tobin (about his experiences with Tiffany)