George Tuchet, 1st Earl of Castlehaven
He succeeded his father as 11th Baron Audley and 8th Baron Tuchet on 30 December 1563, and served in the Parliament of England from 30 September 1566 to 5 April 1614. He was a Fellow of Magdalen College, Oxford. He was Governor of Utrecht in the Netherlands, and Governor of Kells, County Meath, Ireland. He was wounded at the Battle of Kinsale, 24 December 1601. He resided primarily in Ireland and was summoned by writ to the Irish House of Lords 11 March 1613/1614.
In the late 1570s or early 1580s he married Lucy Mervyn, who died on 20 February 1616, only child of Sir James Mervyn and of his wife Amy Clark.
They had seven children:
- Eleanor Tuchet (1590–1652), who married 1st: Sir John Davies, attorney of the king. 2nd: Sir Archibald Douglas.
- Mervyn (1593–1631)
- Sir Ferdinando Tuchet K.B., who married widow of Sir John Rodney.
- Anne Tuchet, who married Edward Blount Esq.
- Elizabeth Tuchet, who married 1st: Sir John Stawel. 2nd: Sir Thomas Griffin.
- Mary Tuchet, who married Sir Thomas Thynne.
- Christian Tuchet, who married Sir Henry Mervyn.
On 29 August 1611, at St. Mary-le-Strand, Middlesex, he married his second wife, Elizabeth Noel (d. 1644), the daughter of Sir Andrew Noel (d. 1607) and his wife, née Mabel Harington. The couple had no children.
Comment :- Contradiction on this page Lucy Mervyn died 20 Feb 1616, he married his 2nd wife Elizabeth Noel on 29 August 1611 ?
The administration of his will was granted to his daughter Eleanor, wife of Sir Archibald Douglas. He was succeeded as Earl of Castlehaven by his son, Mervyn. His widow married Sir Piers Crosby on 6 March 1618/1619, and was living in 1644.
- Burke, Sir Bernard, A genealogical history of the dormant, abeyant, forfeited, and extinct peerages of the British empire, retrieved 8 December 2010
- David Nash Ford's Royal Berkshire History, Eleanor Touchet
|Peerage of Ireland|
|New creation|| Earl of Castlehaven
| Baron Audley of Orier|
|Peerage of England|
| Baron Tuchet
| Baron Audley|