Gerald P. Mallon
Gerald P. Mallon is an American writer and social worker who focuses on LGBTQ family issues. He is currently the Julia Lathrop Professor of Child Welfare and Associate Dean of Scholarship and Research at the Silberman School of Social Work at Hunter College, City University of New York. He is also the Director of the National Center for Child Welfare Excellence and an adoptive parent.
Mallon is an internationally recognized expert on LGBT children, youth, and family issues particularly as they relate to child welfare. Through his writing, advocacy, and training efforts, he has influenced major changes in policy and practice concerning LGBTQ youth within the child welfare system.
Mallon received a BSW from Dominican College in Blauvelt, New York in 1979. In 1980, he graduated from Fordham University with a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree. Mallon received his Doctorate in social work (DSW) from the Graduate Center of the City University of New York in 1994.
Mallon is the author of several significant books, including We Don’t Exactly Get the Welcome Wagon: The Experience of Gay and Lesbian Youth in Child Welfare Settings (1998), which was the first systematic investigation providing empirical data on LGBTQ youth in foster care. His more recent books and edited volumes include:
• Gay men choosing parenthood (2004)
• Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth issues: A youth worker's perspective, 2nd Edition (2010)
• Child Welfare for the Twenty-First Century: A Handbook of practices, policies, and programs, 2nd Edition (co-edited with Peg McCartt Hess, 2014)
Mallon is the author of 24 books in total, along with over 100 articles, chapters, and papers.
In March 2019, Mallon received the Ruby Leader Award from the National Association of Social Workers--New York City Chapter (NASW-NYC), recognizing an individual with more than 25 years of leadership and service experience in the social work profession.
In 2017, Mallon was awarded the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Adoption Excellence Award, which recognizes individuals who “share and support HHS’s priority for permanency for children in public foster care." 
In 2014, Mallon was inducted as a Fellow of the American Academy of Social Work and Social Welfare. That same year, he received the New York State Citizens Coalition for Children Award and the Family Equality Council's Holstetter-Habib Award.
In 2012, Mallon was given the Louisiana Adoption Advisory Board's Award of Distinction.
Mallon's publications have also earned distinctions. He received the Academic Book of the Year award from the American Library Association in 2006 and 1999; was nominated for the Lambda Literary Award in 2010; and was nominated for the American Library Association's Gay and Lesbian Book of the Year award in 1999.
Conferences and Speaking Engagements
Mallon has delivered remarks and keynote addresses at conferences globally and has led trainings, workshops, and symposia. Most recently he has been asked to speak at the Society for Social Work and Research (SSWR) Annual Conference; the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Annual Program Meeting; the Haruv International Conference at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem; the Sexualities and Social Work International Conference in Montreal; the European Scientific Association on Residential and Family Care for Children and Adolescents (EUSARF) International Conference in Portugal; and Haruv USA at the University of Oklahoma-Tulsa;. Mallon speaks Spanish fluently and delivers academic talks and trainings in Spanish worldwide, including a July 2019 keynote address titled Géneros, Diversidad y Cuidados Alternativos de Niños, Niñas y Adolescentes at the University of Buenos Aires Institute of Anthropological Sciences.
- "Gary Mallon - Adoption Voices Magazine - Giving voice to the adoption community".
- "Hunter Headlines for 2009".
- "Gary Mallon: Gay Youth Find a Crusader".
- "LGBTQ in Foster Care? A Struggle Amid Progress". Alternet.
- "Profile: Gary Mallon, Ph.D." The Donaldson Adoption Institute.
- "Adoptive and Foster Families of Maine, Inc. March 2016 Newsletter" (PDF).
- "Silberman's Gary Mallon and Patricia Gray Receive NASW-NYC Social Work Leadership Award".
- "Hunter's Gary Mallon Receives 2017 Adoption Excellence Award".
- "Faculty Members Tapped for National Recognition".
- "Night at the Pier". Guest of a Guest.
- "Louisiana Children's Trust Fund - Judge Ware Award". Archived from the original on 2016-04-23.
- "Opening Plenary Session". SSWR.
- "The Haruv International Conference - Prof. Gerald P. Mallon". The Haruv Institute.
- "Official Program, Sexualities and Social Work International Conference" (PDF).
- "Haruv USA Lecture Series - Gerald P. Mallon, DSW" (PDF). Haruv USA at OU-Tulsa.
- "Conferencia "Géneros, diversidad y cuidados alternativos de niños, niñas y adolescentes"".
- Gerald P. Mallon MSW, DSW The Silberman School of Social Work at Hunter College