Get Along with You
|"Get Along with You"|
|Single by Kelis|
|from the album Kaleidoscope|
|Released||February 17, 2000|
|Studio||Master Sound Recording Studio, Windmark Recording Studios
(Virginia Beach, Virginia)
|Kelis singles chronology|
"Get Along with You" is a song by American singer Kelis from her debut studio album, Kaleidoscope (1999). Released as the album's third and final single, the song marked a change in direction for Kelis compared to her previous two singles, being her first ballad released as a single. Lyrically, "Get Along with You" describes how someone's love and the need to "get along with them" is more substantial than material possessions and even the world itself. It remains Kelis' lowest-peaking single to date in the United Kingdom, peaking at number 51 on the UK Singles Chart. In the United States, it became her second consecutive single to miss the Billboard Hot 100.
The music video for "Get Along with You", directed by Paul Hunter, begins with Kelis, who is donning an all-black, gothic-like attire, standing in place. She proceeds to open her laced jacket to reveal a new "world" within herself. This "new world" shows Kelis standing in an empty street. She sings the first verse while flying around in a dark and gloomy city, as an orange gas comes out of her mouth every time she speaks. She then flies to a flower shop and looks inside where she sees dead flowers that quickly come back to life. After coming out of a well, Kelis walks in a heavily wooded area, filled with trees. She then stands upon a giant telescope. Kelis wanders aimlessly to a beach and sits holding a parasol, singing. The camera pans to Kelis' feet and she is shown flying over the ocean of which she was previously viewing with dolphins swimming beneath her. After entering another iron gate, Kelis is shown as a doll and begins to disassemble herself. A light begins to emit from her dismembered, clay body; the light begins to shine very brightly, illuminating the seas and the city within herself. In closing of the song, the camera pans out and Kelis closes the open "window" to her inner self.
- UK CD single
- "Get Along with You" (Album Version) – 4:27
- "Get Along with You" (DJ Dodge Soul Inside Radio Mix) – 3:58
- "Get Along with You" (Bump & Flex Radio Edit) – 3:52
- "Get Along with You" (Morales Radio Edit) – 3:46
- "Get Along with You" (video)
- European CD single
- "Get Along with You" (Pharrell Edit Version) – 4:12
- "Get Along with You" (Bump & Flex Club Mix) – 6:29
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||93|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||71|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||51|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||6|
|US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||19|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||57|
|United States||February 17, 2000|
|Europe||June 6, 2000|
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Kelis – Get Along with You" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved July 20, 2008.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved December 24, 2017.
- "Kelis: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved December 24, 2017.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved December 24, 2017.
- "Kelis Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved December 24, 2017.
- "Kelis Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved December 24, 2017.