Get Along with You
|"Get Along with You"|
|Single by Kelis|
|from the album Kaleidoscope|
|Released||February 17, 2000|
|Recorded||November 1999 – January 2000;
Master Sound Recording Studio, Windmark Recording
(Virginia Beach, Virginia)
|Kelis singles chronology|
"Get Along with You" is a song by American recording artist Kelis from her debut album, Kaleidoscope. The song emphasizes on how someone's love and the need to "get along with them" is more substantial than material possessions and even the world itself. Released as the album's third and final single, this track marked a change in direction for Kelis compared to her previous two singles, being her first ballad released as a single. It remains her lowest-peaking single to date in the United Kingdom, charting at number fifty-one on the UK Singles Chart. It was a substantially bigger hit there than in the United States, however, where it became her second consecutive single not to chart on the Billboard Hot 100.
The video, directed by Paul Hunter, begins with Kelis, who is in an all-black, gothic-like attire, standing in place. She proceeds to open her laced jacket to reveal a new "world" within herself. (which in contrast is supposed to be her opening her self and showing her true feelings) This "new world" shows Kelis standing in an empty street. She sings the first verse while flying around in the dark and gloomy city, with an orange gas appearing from her mouth every time she speaks (in essences is supposed to be truth and life which is breathed into her environment). She then flies to a flower shop and looks inside where she sees dead flowers that quickly come back to life. After coming out of a well, Kelis walks in a heavily wooded area, filled with trees. She then stands upon a giant telescope. Kelis then wanders aimlessly to a beach and sits holding a parasol singing. The camera pans to Kelis' feet and she is shown flying over the ocean of which she was previously viewing with dolphins swimming beneath her. After entering another iron gate, Kelis is shown as a doll and begins to disassemble herself symbolizing that she needs nothing at all but that person. A light begins to emit from her dismembered, clay body; the light begins to shine very brightly, illuminating the seas and the city within herself. In closing of the song the camera pans out and Kelis closes the open "window" to her inner self.
- UK CD single
- "Get Along with You" (Album Version) – 4:27
- "Get Along with You" (DJ Dodge Soul Inside Radio Mix) – 3:58
- "Get Along with You" (Bump & Flex Radio Edit) – 3:52
- "Get Along with You" (Morales Radio Edit) – 3:46
- "Get Along with You" (Video)
- European CD single
- "Get Along with You" (Pharrell Edit Version) – 4:12
- "Get Along with You" (Bump & Flex Club Mix) – 6:29
|Dutch Single Top 100||93|
|UK Singles Chart||51|
|U.S. Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||57|
|U.S. Hot Dance Club Play||19|
|United States||February 17, 2000|
|Europe||June 6, 2000|
- "Kelis – Get Along With You". MegaCharts (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Archived from the original on September 17, 2011. Retrieved July 20, 2008.
- "Chart Stats – Kelis – Get Along With You". The Official Charts Company. Chart Stats. Archived from the original on May 13, 2007. Retrieved July 19, 2008.
- "Kaleidoscope – Kelis – Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved December 31, 2007.