Cover artwork for the official remix
|Single by Junior M.A.F.I.A.|
|from the album Conspiracy|
|Released||September 3, 1995|
|Format||CD single, 12" single|
|Genre||Dirty rap, gangsta rap|
|Label||Undeas, Big Beat Records|
|Writer(s)||Clark Kent, Kimberly Jones, Christopher Wallace|
|Producer(s)||Ez Elpee, Jacob York|
|Junior M.A.F.I.A. chronology|
"Get Money" is the third and final single released from the Junior M.A.F.I.A.'s debut album, Conspiracy. The original version, which heavily sampled Sylvia Striplin's "You Can't Turn Me Away", was produced by EZ Elpee with verses done by The Notorious B.I.G. and Lil' Kim. The official remix entitled "Gettin' Money (The Get Money Remix)" was produced by DJ Enuff, Lance 'Un' Rivera and The Notorious B.I.G. This version used a different instrumental, sampling Dennis Edwards' 1984 track, "Don't Look Any Further" featuring new verses by Lil' Kim and B.I.G. as well as a verse from Lil' Cease. "Get Money" became the group's second biggest hit, peaking at 17 on the Billboard 100. It sold 500,000 copies domestically and was certified platinum by the RIAA. It ranked number 89 in Billboard's Top Hot 100 Hits of 1996.
The song was used in the 2002 film 8 Mile and in the 2009 biographical movie Notorious (with Lil' Kim's verse.) The repeated line "Take Money" in the 2Pac song Hit 'Em Up is a play on "Get Money". This song, which also used the same Dennis Edwards sample as the Get Money remix, is a very violent diss track aimed at Biggie Smalls and other members of the Bad Boy record label.
Single track listing
- "Gettin' Money (The Get Money Remix)" (Radio Edit)- 3:59
- "Gettin' Money (The Get Money Remix)" (Dirty Version)- 4:09
- "Get Money" (Original Version)- 4:34
- "White Chalk" (Original Version)- 4:40
- "White Chalk" (Dirty Version)- 4:40
- "Get Money" (Original Instrumental)- 4:34
Charts and certifications
|Billboard Hot 100||17|
|Billboard Hot R&B / Hip-Hop Songs||4|
|UK Singles Chart||63|
|End of year chart (1996)||Peak position|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||89|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||500,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Best-Selling Records of 1996". Billboard. BPI Communications Inc. 109 (3): 61. January 18, 1997. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- "American single certifications – Junior M.A.F.I.A. – Gettin%27 Money". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "1996: Year-End USA Charts (Singles)". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2008-10-25.(archived by Top40-Charts.com)
- "Get Money - Junior M.A.F.I.A.". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "Junior M.A.F.I.A. | Artist". Official Charts. 1996-10-19. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1996". Retrieved 2010-08-27.
|This hip hop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|