Type of site
|Technology news and analysis|
|Created by||Om Malik and others|
Gigaom was a blog-related media company started by Om Malik in San Francisco, California. It ceased operating March 9, 2015. On May 22, 2015, it was acquired by Knowingly Corp., which announced it will relaunch the site in August 2015.
After running his personal blog under the name for several years, Gigaom was founded as a company by Om Malik in 2006. In June 2006, he left his day job to work on Gigaom full-time. The site originally integrated a number of other technology-related blogs and services into its network. In 2011, Gigaom consolidated this network of blogs and rebranded all of them as separate topic channels on gigaom.com, with channels dedicated to technology news, Apple, cleantech, cloud, data, Europe, mobile, and video.
Since 2006, Gigaom has organized technology conferences under the banner Gigaom Events. The events division now produces six events annually: Gigaom RoadMap, paidContent Live, Mobilize, and the Structure series (Structure, Structure:Data and Structure:Europe).
In 2008, Malik appointed Paul Walborsky as CEO of the company and in 2009, the company launched GigaOM Pro, a subscription-based technology research service. Walborsky stepped down as CEO in September 2014.
On March 9, 2015, Gigaom ceased operations, with a brief note on the website stating that it was shutting down and "its assets are now controlled by the company's lenders." Malik stated that the publication was unable to pay its creditors in full. At the time, it had 6.4 million monthly readers.
- Chris Taylor, "Farewell, GigaOm: Tech news powerhouse shutting down," Mashable, March 9, 2015.
- "Blog 100 Index". CNET.
- "Om money, Om problems". Valleywag. June 13, 2006. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- Ravi Somaiya, "Tech Blog GigaOm Abruptly Shuts Down," New York Times, March 9, 2015.
- "GigaOM's Mobilize 09 - the 100-word version". VentureBeat. September 10, 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "GigaOM Events". GigaOM.
- "We Have a New CEO!". GigaOM. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- "Meet GigaOM Pro, Our Subscription-Only Research Service". GigaOM. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- Gabriel Kahn, "How Gigaom Built a Media Business Around Free Content," PBS, October 14, 2014.
- "GigaOM Acquires paidContent". New York Times. February 8, 2012. Retrieved 2013-07-31.