Gilberto Galdino dos Santos
|Full name||Gilberto Galdino dos Santos|
|Date of birth||20 November 1976|
|Place of birth||Carpina, Brazil|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
He also holds a Portuguese passport due to having spent many years in the country, where he even represented, amongst other teams, Benfica. Over the course of seven seasons, he amassed Primeira Liga totals of 180 games and ten goals.
Born in Carpina, Pernambuco, Beto started his professional career in 1998, having unassuming stints in Argentina and Uruguay. After five years in Portugal with mid-to-bottom table first division clubs F.C. Paços de Ferreira and S.C. Beira-Mar, excelling especially in the latter by scoring a career-best six goals in the 2004–05 season even though the Aveiro club ranked last, he signed a three-year contract with S.L. Benfica in the summer of 2005.
Despite not being a fans' favourite, Beto was often cast in the first team by manager Ronald Koeman. He appeared in 24 league games in his first year, playing the full 90 minutes in half of those. His greatest moment at the club happened on 7 December 2005, when the Eagles defeated Manchester United 2–1 in Lisbon, in a UEFA Champions League group stage contest, sealing their passage to the round-of-16 stage: he scored the decider at the 34' mark, netting from outside the area.
Beto's second campaign in Benfica was less notable: with the departure of Koeman and the arrival of manager Fernando Santos and player Kostas Katsouranis (who played in his position), he was relegated to the substitutes bench, playing only six matches in that condition. Thus, he signed a three-year deal with Swiss club FC Sion on 11 June 2007.
- Beto heralds new Benfica era; UEFA.com, 3 June 2005
- "No meio está... o problema" [In the middle lies... the problem] (in Portuguese). Record. 25 November 2005. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Não mexe" [Stays put] (in Portuguese). Record. 23 February 2006. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- United undone by brilliant Benfica
- "Beto vai jogar no FC Sion" [Beto will play in FC Sion] (in Portuguese). Record. 11 June 2007. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- Official, Beto leaves Sion; Transfer Market Web, 8 December 2008
- ΑΝΑΚΟΙΝΩΣΗ (in Greek). Ergotelis' official website. 3 January 2009. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- ΟΛΟΚΛΗΡΩΘΗΚΕ Η ΣΥΝΕΡΓΑΣΙΑ ΜΕ ΤΟΝ ΜΠΕΤΟ ΚΑΙ ΤΟΝ ΣΑΣΙΑΣΒΙΛΙ [Beto and Sasiasvilli concluded their services] (in Greek). Ergotelis' official website. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 12 May 2012.