Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jim Jarmusch|
|Written by||Jim Jarmusch|
Gimme Danger is a 2016 American documentary film directed by Jim Jarmusch about the band The Stooges. It was shown in the Midnight Screenings section at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. The film was released by Amazon Studios and Magnolia Pictures on October 28, 2016.
The film follows the rise, fall and reunion of The Stooges, formed in Ann Arbor, Michigan in the 1967 by singer Iggy Pop, bassist Dave Alexander, and brothers Ron Asheton and Scott Asheton on guitar and drums respectively. Guitarist James Williamson eventually joined the band, with Ron Asheton switching to bass after Alexander quit.
The band found little success during the first phase of their career, recording three albums that did not sell as well as their record companies expected, and performing for audiences that were largely indifferent or hostile. They broke up in 1974, and the band members went their separate ways with vocalist Pop establishing a moderately successful solo career. In time, The Stooges proved highly influential on the development of punk rock in the 1970s.
The Stooges' original lineup reformed in 2003, with bassist Mike Watt replacing the late Alexander. Ron Asheton died in 2009, and Williamson rejoined the band for their fifth and final album.
Gimme Danger mixes archival photos and footage, alongside reunion-era interviews with the surviving band members and footage of their 2010 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The documentary is titled after a song on the 1973 Raw Power album.
In April 2016, Amazon Studios acquired distribution rights to the film. with Magnolia Pictures co-distributing the film. The film had its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival on May 19, 2016. It also screened at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 8, 2016. and the New York Film Festival on October 5, 2016. The film was released on October 28, 2016.
Gimme Danger received positive reviews from film critics. It holds a "certified fresh" approval rating of 95% on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 100 reviews, with an average rating of 7/10. On Metacritic, the film holds a rating of 72 out of 100, based on 23 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Gimme Danger". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- "2016 Cannes Film Festival Announces Lineup". IndieWire. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- "Cannes 2016: Film Festival Unveils Official Selection Lineup". Variety. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- Kay, Jermey (April 14, 2016). "Amazon Studios woos CinemaCon". Screen Daily. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "Gimme Danger". Magnolia Pictures. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Nolfi, Joey (August 9, 2016). "Leonardo DiCaprio documentary, Blair Witch sequel headed to TIFF". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 14, 2016.
- "Gimme Danger". Toronto International Film Festival. Retrieved September 14, 2016.
- Cox, Gordon (August 9, 2016). "New York Film Festival Loads 2016 Main Slate With Festival-Circuit Favorites". Variety. Retrieved September 14, 2016.
- "Gimme Danger". New York Film Festival. Retrieved September 14, 2016.
- Stinson, Annakeara (September 12, 2016). "'Gimme Danger' Exclusive Images: Jim Jarmusch's New Documentary Recounts The History of The Stooges". Indiewire.com. Retrieved September 14, 2016.
- "Gimme Danger". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- "Gimme Danger". Metacritic. Retrieved September 14, 2016.