|Also known as||Gina Green, Gina Brown|
|Origin||Chicago, United States|
|Genres||Gospel, R&B, neo souls|
|Occupation(s)||Singer and filmmaker|
|Labels||Gico Music, Trendency, Rite-Step Records, Isom & Isom, Grapetree|
Gina Carey is an American independent filmmaker and soul R&B / gospel music singer based in Palm Springs, California, United States. Formerly known as Gina Green, Gina has since remarried and changed her name to Gina Carey.
Gina was born in Chicago and raised in Los Angeles. Gina Carey has a younger sister Bella Maori who is an actress http://coldheatnews.com/archives/4974 and screenwriter https://medium.com/@markwilliams45/new-tv-show-ugly-unmasks-the-ugly-face-of-colorism-in-hollywood-c02b8b326ae2 https://bellamaori.com/ https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2394724/. Bella Maori is the creator of the award winning tv show “Ugly,” https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12686728/?ref_=nm_knf_i1. Gina grew up with her sister in Los Angeles, CA.
Gina Carey is currently a filmmaker who manages her own independent film company, Gina Carey Films. The indie film company, which has successfully produced six feature films as of 2019, is based in the Coachella Valley and makes use of local talent and resources. As the first African-American female filmmaker in Palm Springs, Gina had originally started out as a self-taught, self-funded filmmaker who eventually expanded onto building Gina Carey Films.
In 2017, Gina launched the 1st annual CV (Coachella Valley) Indie Film Awards, which was awarded to independent filmmakers producing low-budget films. The 2nd annual CV Indie Film Awards were continued in 2018.
- Acts of Kindness
- Rose England
- The One Year Pact (2018)
- The Assumptions (2017)
- Aspire to Inspire (2016)
- The Unexpected (2016)
Gina has recorded three albums as Gina Green, which are In His Time, Changes, and Tell 'Um. She is known for her vibrant spirit and silky-smooth vocal style, and is often compared stylistically to 1980s pop diva Stephanie Mills. Her music blends elements of contemporary R&B with 1970s soul and modern-day hip hop to create a neo soul gospel flavor.
Gina has performed on the same stage with Gospel artists Tonex, J Moss, TBN's Bill & Rene Morris, The Gospel Gangsters, two-time Dove Award nominees God's Original Gangstaz, Brent Jones, and many others.
Gina has produced 14 CD albums (3 gospel and 11 soul CDs), as well as 5 hit singles that have reached number one on the UK charts. Her CD albums include:
|Gina Carey the Soul Singer||2015|
|Can You Dig It||2015|
|Funk Rhythm & Soul||2013|
|Love Letters 2 (the Love Continues)||2012|
|In His Time||1996|
Gina's debut album, In His Time, was released on Grapetree Records in 1997 under her then-legal name, Gina Brown, and sold over 10,000 copies worldwide. The album was received particularly well in Europe, topping out at number two on the U.K. Gospel charts. 2003's Changes was released independently and sold at a respectable pace. The planned release for Tell 'Um, her third album on Rite-Step Records, fell through in mid-2005 as the label folded before it even got off the ground. The album was later picked up by Nashville-based Trendency Records and released nationally in July 2006. The singles Hiding Place and Testimony received moderate airplay across the U.S. and in Europe. Both the Changes and Tell 'Um albums were produced by Isom Green, Jr., who has worked with Dr. Dre, Whitney Houston, Ice Cube, and Snoop Dogg.
Tell 'Um (2006)
|Studio album by |
|Released||July 25, 2006|
|Genre||Gospel, neo soul|
|Producer||Isom Green, Jr.|
- "Hiding Place"
- "You Are More"
- "Take Me"
- "Lift Him"
- "Don't Let The Devil Lie To You"
- "Lord I Love You"
- "I'm Not Ashamed"
- "Tell 'Um"
- "Rain On Me"
- "Wounded Soldier"
- "Thank You Lord"
- "Turned Away"
- "Are You Ready?"
|Studio album by |
|Genre||Gospel, Neo soul|
|Label||Isom & Isom Records|
|Producer||Isom Green, Jr. and Joe Busby, Jr.|
- "Stand Up"
- "I Need You"
- "This Heart of Mine"
- "Lay My Burdens Down"
- "Nearer To Thee"
- "Thee Highest Praise"
- "God Is Love"
- "Only Believe"
In His Time (1996)
|In His Time|
|Studio album by |
|Genre||Gospel, Hip hop|
- "Don't Think You've Arrived"
- "I've Fallen In Love"
- "You're Not My Husband"
- "Centered In Your Love"
- "In His Time"
- "Come To Jesus"
- "We Need To Pray"
- "Seek His Face"
- "Make Up Your Mind"
- "Choose Life"
- "I Surrender All"
In 2006, Gina was nominated by the Black Music Academy Association of America in two categories: "Best Gospel Performer - Female" and "Gospel Rising Star". She performed at the event, held at the Cashman Theater, before a full house and won the "Las Vegas Black Music Awards 2006 Best Gospel Performer - Female" award. Later that year, she auditioned for NBC's America's Got Talent. In 2008 Gina also auditioned for Showtime at the Apollo in Los Angeles, California, and was chosen to be on the show.
Gina has won various music awards, including:
- Best Gospel Artist (2006)
- Rising Stars of the Desert “Best Jazz Music Artist Award” (2012)
- Best Single, GHP Virtual Music Awards (song: “Beautiful Music”) (2015)
- “Best Contemporary Artist”, Coachella Valley Music Award (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Most Influential and Interesting Women in the Coachella Valley, from Coachella Vallley Weekly (2016)
Gina's film awards include:
- The One Year Pact: Cinemafest award winner (October 2, 2017)
- The Assumptions: Miami Epic Trailer Festival award winner (April 21, 2017)
- The Unexpected: Nevada International Film Festival award winner (November 15, 2016)
In addition to being an award recipient, Gina is also the founder and manager of the CV Indie Film Awards.
- Pena, Xochitl. "Self-taught desert movie maker is the 'Mother Teresa' of local film industry". Desert Sun. Retrieved 2019-03-18.
- "John and Gina Carey to Open for Rose Royce benefiting the NLADA". PRLog. September 13, 2011. Retrieved 2019-03-18.
- Gico Music (official site)
- Gina Carey at IMDb
- Gina Carey biography
- "Gina Carey Films, to Premier New Movie, "The One Year Pact" at the Camelot Theatres". Coachella Valley Weekly. January 24, 2018. Retrieved 2019-03-18.
- Falls, Lisa (September 20, 2017). "CEO of Gina Carey Films, "Gina Carey" to Launch the 1st Annual Coachella Valley Independent Film Awards in 2018". Patch. Retrieved 2019-03-18.
- "Gina Carey Films Presents 2018 2nd Annual CV Indie Film Awards". Patch. Retrieved 2019-03-18.
- CV Indie Film Awards (official site)
- Gico Music
- The Cutting Edge Christian Music Discography
- Changes at AllMusic
- Tell 'Um at AllMusic
- "SoundClick artist: I Will Production Studios - Digital Recording Studio that produces, engineers, mixes, vocal arrange & trains, produces demos". Archived from the original on 2011-06-29. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "Gina Green Wins ?Las Vegas Black Music Awards 2006 ?Best Gospel Performer ? Fema by Trendency Records". Archived from the original on 2010-08-05. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "Power Couple John & Gina Carey". Coachella Valley Weekly. Retrieved 2019-03-18.