Giuseppe F. Italiano
|Giuseppe F. Italiano|
March 16, 1961|
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
|Institutions||University of Rome Tor Vergata|
|Doctoral advisor||Zvi Galil|
Giuseppe Francesco (Pino) Italiano (born March 16, 1961) is an Italian computer scientist. He is a professor of computer science at the University of Rome Tor Vergata. He is known for his work in graph algorithms, data structures and algorithm engineering.
Education and career
He was research staff member (1991-1996) at the IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center and a full professor of computer science at the University of Salerno (1994-1995) and at the Ca' Foscari University of Venice (1995-1998). Since 1998 he is professor of computer science at the University of Rome Tor Vergata, where he was department chair from 2004 to 2012.
From 2008 to 2014, Italiano was editor-in-chief of the ACM Journal of Experimental Algorithmics.
Awards and honors
In 2016 Italiano was named an EATCS Fellow for his "fundamental contributions to the design and analysis of algorithms for solving theoretical and applied problems in graphs and massive data sets, and for his role in establishing the field of algorithm engineering".
- Eppstein, David; Galil, Zvi; Giancarlo, Raffaele; Italiano, Giuseppe F. (1992), "Sparse dynamic programming. I. Linear cost functions", Journal of the ACM, 39 (3): 519–545, doi:10.1145/146637.146650, MR 1177953.
- Eppstein, David; Galil, Zvi; Italiano, Giuseppe F.; Nissenzweig, Amnon (1997), "Sparsification—a technique for speeding up dynamic graph algorithms", Journal of the ACM, 44 (5): 669–696, doi:10.1145/265910.265914, MR 1492341.
- Li, Bo; Golin, M.J.; Italiano, G.F.; Deng, Xin; Sohraby, K. (1999), "On the optimal placement of web proxies in the Internet", Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '99), 3, pp. 1282–1290, doi:10.1109/infcom.1999.752146.
- Demetrescu, Camil; Italiano, Giuseppe F. (2004), "A new approach to dynamic all pairs shortest paths", Journal of the ACM, 51 (6): 968–992, doi:10.1145/1039488.1039492, MR 2145260.
- Demetrescu, Camil; Italiano, Giuseppe F. (2005), "Trade-offs for fully dynamic transitive closure on DAGs: breaking through the O(n2) barrier", Journal of the ACM, 52 (2): 147–156, doi:10.1145/1059513.1059514, MR 2147990.
- "Giuseppe F. Italiano at the Mathematics Genealogy Project".
- "University of Rome Tor Vergata faculty page". University of Rome Tor Vergata. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Giuseppe F. Italiano at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Giuseppe F. Italiano's Online Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "JEA Board History". Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "EATCS Fellows: Giuseppe F. Italiano". European Association for Theoretical Computer Science