Glasflügel 205 Club Libelle
|205 Club Libelle|
|National origin||West Germany|
|Number built||171 (as of 1983)|
|Developed from||Glasflügel H201|
Design and development
The Glasflügel H-201 Standard Libelle proved immensely popular, but was not an optimal aircraft for club and rental use, due to its mid-wing and low tail which could both be damaged in off-airport landings. Also its small cockpit fits only a certain demographic percentage of soaring pilots. The company developed the 205 with the design goals of a simple, rugged aircraft that would withstand club and fixed-base operator rental use. The resulting aircraft has a high-wing and a T-tail to provide more obstacle clearance as well as a larger cockpit. To eliminate gear-up landings the monowheel landing gear is non-retractable,  although at least one Club Libelle exists (D-2468) which is equipped with retractable landing gear.
The aircraft is constructed from fibreglass. New wings were designed for the 205 that use a double-taper planform and incorporate combination spoilers and flaps that occupy two thirds of the wing's trailing edge. The 15.0 m (49.2 ft) span wing employs a Wortmann FX 66-17A II 182 airfoil, the same as is used on the Standard Libelle and the Glasflügel 206 Hornet.
The Club Libelle was type certified in Germany as well as in the United States. The US certification was granted on 8 September 1975 and includes aerobatic approval for spins, loops, hammerhead turns and lazy eights. Due to its fibreglass construction, the aircraft's certification contains the restriction: "All external portions of the glider exposed to sunlight must be painted white. Registration and competition numbers must be painted blue-gray or in any other light color."
- Crew: one
- Wingspan: 15.0 m (49 ft 3 in)
- Wing area: 9.80 m2 (105.5 sq ft)
- Aspect ratio: 23:1
- Airfoil: Wortmann FX 66-17A II 182
- Empty weight: 200 kg (440 lb)
- Gross weight: 350 kg (772 lb)
- Stall speed: 70 km/h; 44 mph (38 kn) with dive brakes closed
- Never exceed speed: 200 km/h; 124 mph (108 kn)
- Maximum glide ratio: 35:1 at 56 mph (90 km/h)
- Rate of sink: 0.56 m/s (110 ft/min) at 42 mph (68 km/h)
- Wing loading: 34 kg/m2 (6.9 lb/sq ft)
- Related lists
- Activate Media (2006). "Club Libelle 205 Glasflugel". Archived from the original on 25 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- Said, Bob: 1983 Sailplane Directory, Soaring Magazine, page 80, Soaring Society of America November 1983. USPS 499-920
- Lednicer, David (2010). "The Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage". Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Federal Aviation Administration (September 1975). "Type Certificate Data Sheet SHEET NO.G12EU" (PDF). Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- Federal Aviation Administration (July 2011). "Make / Model Inquiry Glasflugal 205". Retrieved 10 July 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to H205 Club Libelle.|