|Genre||Memoir, creative nonfiction|
|Subject||Classical Music, the Guitar|
Glenn Kurtz (born 1962, Roslyn, New York) is a writer and the author of Practicing: A Musician's Return to Music (Knopf, 2007; Vintage paperback, 2008). He lives in New York City, where he is currently working on a novel.
Glenn Kurtz is a graduate of the New England Conservatory-Tufts University double degree program. He also holds a PhD from Stanford University in German Studies and Comparative Literature. His writing has been published in ZYZZYVA, Artweek, Tema Celeste, and elsewhere, and he has taught at Stanford University, San Francisco State University, and California College of the Arts.
Glenn Kurtz writes:
Practicing: A Musician’s Return to Music is a book about the dream of becoming an artist. Drawn from my experiences as a child performer and concert classical guitarist, Practicing tells the story of my youthful ambition to achieve musical artistry, the collapse of that ambition in my twenties, and my surprising return to music later in life. As a child and young adult, I practiced full of passion and expectation, certain I could change peoples’ lives with music. In my late twenties, despairing of a viable career as a classical guitarist, I quit in bitterness. For ten years, I couldn’t bear to touch the instrument. Now, in my forties, a lover of music chastened in my goals, I’ve returned to practicing to understand what went wrong, to learn to do it better.
Three Minutes in Poland
In 2009, Glenn Kurtz stumbled upon a home video shot by his family that included three minutes of footage in Nasielsk, Poland shot in 1938. Kurtz set out to restore the film and find the people in it. The book based on this journey is titled Three Minutes in Poland: Discovering a Lost World in a 1938 Family Film (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2014).
- Glenn Kurtz. "Glenn Kurtz on Glenn Kurtz". Retrieved 2007-06-10. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "bio" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Glenn Kurtz. "Glenn Kurtz on Practicing". Retrieved 2007-06-10.
- Colin, Chris (June 18, 2007). "ON THE JOB: How To Fail Successfully: When to give up on our ambitions? Glenn Kurtz learned the answer the hard way". SFGate. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Itzkoff, Dave (October 28, 2007). "Music Chronicle". New York Times Sunday Book Review. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Kurtz, Glenn (2007). Practicing: A Musician's Return to Music. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- Leddy, Chuck (July 8, 2007). "The hard work that leads to imperfection: Guitarist makes his peace with limitations". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- "Weekend Edition with Scott Simon". National Public Radio. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Glenn Kurtz's blog at The Huffington Post
- "Borzoi Reader: Catalog". Alfred A. Knopf. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Garner, Dwight (August 15, 2007). "Living with Music: A Playlist by Glenn Kurtz". New York Times Blog. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Glenn Kurtz.|