Gliese Catalogue of Nearby Stars
First edition and supplements
In 1957 German astronomer Wilhelm Gliese published his first star catalogue of nearly one thousand stars located within 20 parsecs (65 ly) of Earth, listing their known properties and ordered by right ascension. Items from the first catalogue were designated GL NNN and the stars were numbered from 1-915.
He published a significant update to his original catalogue as the Catalogue of Nearby Stars in 1969, extending the range out to 22 parsecs (72 ly). The update extended the list to 1,529 stars, and the stars were then designated Gl NNN.NA and numbered from 1.0 to 915.0. New stars not in the original Gliese catalogue were given fractional numbers to slot them 'between' existing Gliese stars to retain the existing right ascension order.
A supplement to the catalogue, published in 1970 by Richard van der Riet Woolley and associates, extended the range out to 25 parsecs (82 ly). This supplement added catalogue numbers in the range 9001–9850 using the now deprecated Wo prefix. Stars in this range now also use the GJ prefix.
Gliese published an extension to the second edition of the catalogue in 1979 in collaboration with Hartmut Jahreiß. The combined catalogue is now commonly referred to as the Gliese–Jahreiß (GJ) catalog. This catalogue was published with two tables: Table 1 uses the designations GJ NNNN for entries numbered 1000-1294 for confirmed nearby stars; Table 2 uses the designations GJ NNNN for entries numbered 2001-2159 for suspected nearby stars. Since the publication of this catalogue all of the stars in the combined catalogue and succeeding supplements are designated by the preferred GJ prefix.
Gliese published the Third Catalogue of Nearby Stars (CNS3) in 1991, again in collaboration with Hartmut Jahreiß; the list now containing information on more than 3,800 stars. Although this catalogue is designated as preliminary it is still the one in current use. This catalogue lists a total of 3,803 stars. Most of these stars already had GJ numbers, but there were also 1,388 stars which were not numbered. As no final version has been forthcoming, the need to give these 1,388 some name has resulted in them being numbered 3001–4388 (NN numbers, for "no name"), and data files of this catalogue now usually include these numbers, although they are not frequently used.
The releases of the different versions of this catalogue over the years also documents the progression of publication from the printed form of the earlier catalogues to publication in electronic form of the later catalogues, as is now the case with most other large catalogues. The most recent nearly full update to these catalogs was published in 2010. This update provided revised J2000, epoch 2000 coordinates cross-matched with 2MASS sources where possible.
- Gliese, W. (1957). Katalog der Sterne näher ALS 20 Parsek für 1950.0 (in German). Astronomisches Rechen-Institut, Heidelberg, 89 Seiten. Bibcode:1957MiABA...8....1G.
- Gliese, W. "Catalogue of Nearby Stars. Edition 1969". Veröffentlichungen des Astronomischen Rechen-Instituts Heidelberg, Nr. 22, Verlag G. Braun, Karlsruhe, 117 Seiten. Bibcode:1969VeARI..22....1G.
- Woolley, R. V. D. R.; Epps, E. A.; Penston, M. J.; Pocock, S. B. (July 1997). Stars within 25 pc of the Sun (Woolley+ 1970) (VizieR On-line Data Catalog: V/32A. Originally published in: 1970ROAn....5....1W ed.). SIMBAD. Bibcode:1997yCat.5032....0W.
- Gliese, W.; Jahreiß, H. (1979). "Nearby Star Data Published 1969-1978". Astronomy & Astrophysics, Supplement Series 38: 423–448. Bibcode:1979A&AS...38..423G.
- "Dictionary of Nomenclature of Celestial Objects". Centre de Données astronomiques de Strasbourg. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- Gliese, W.; Jahreiß, H. (1991). "Preliminary Version of the Third Catalogue of Nearby Stars". In L.E. Brotzmann; S.E. Gesser. The Astronomical Data Center CD-ROM: Selected Astronomical Catalogs I. Greenbelt, MD: NASA/Astronomical Data Center, Goddard Space Flight Center. Bibcode:1991adc..rept.....G.
- STAUFFER J.; TANNER A.M.; BRYDEN G.; RAMIREZ S.; BERRIMAN B.; CIARDI D.R.; KANE S.R.; MIZUSAWA T.; PAYNE A.; PLAVCHAN P.; VON BRAUN K.; WYATT P.; KIRKPATRICK J.D (2010). "Accurate Coordinates and 2MASS Cross-IDs for (Almost) All Gliese Catalog Stars". Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 122: 885–897. arXiv:1006.2441. Bibcode:2010PASP..122..885S. doi:10.1086/655773.