Gliese Catalogue of Nearby Stars
|Alternative names||Gliese–Jahreiß catalog|
|Survey type||star catalogue, astronomical catalog|
|Named after||Wilhelm Gliese|
|Related media on Wikimedia Commons|
First edition and supplements
In 1957 German astronomer Wilhelm Gliese published his first star catalogue of 915 known stars within 20 parsecs (65 ly) of Earth, listing their known properties and ordered geographically by right ascension. Stars in the first catalogue are designated by coding GL NNN, the N representing the consecutive integer number based on this order.
Gliese published an update as the Catalogue of Nearby Stars in 1969, all known stars to 22 parsecs (72 ly), which catalogued 1,529 stars, encoded as Gl NNN.NA (prefix Gl and the entries of twelve years before gained a .0 affix; the more than 500 additional stars were recorded using interspersed 0.1, 0.2 etc numbering). This list therefore numbered from 1.0 to 915.0 as no stars were entered after 915.0. and retained a strict right ascension order.
A Supplement published in 1970 by Richard van der Riet Woolley and associates, extended the range out to 25 parsecs (82 ly). This supplement added catalogue numbers in the range 9001–9850 using the now deprecated Wo prefix, sharing today the GJ prefix given to the later series of the catalogues.
Gliese published an extension to the second edition of the catalogue in 1979 in collaboration with Hartmut Jahreiß. The combined catalogue is now commonly referred to as the Gliese–Jahreiß (GJ) catalog. This catalogue was published with two tables: Table 1 uses the designations GJ NNNN for entries numbered 1000-1294 for confirmed nearby stars; Table 2 uses the designations GJ NNNN for entries numbered 2001-2159 for suspected nearby stars. Since the publication of this catalogue all of the stars in the combined catalogue and succeeding supplements are designated by the preferred GJ prefix.
Gliese published the Third Catalogue of Nearby Stars (CNS3) in 1991, again in collaboration with Hartmut Jahreiß; the list now containing information on more than 3,800 stars. Although this catalogue is designated as preliminary it is still the one in current use. This catalogue lists a total of 3,803 stars. Most of these stars already had GJ numbers, but there were also 1,388 stars which were not numbered. As no final version has been forthcoming, the need to give these 1,388 some name has resulted in them being numbered 3001–4388 (NN numbers, for "no name"), and data files of this catalogue now usually include these numbers, although they are not frequently used.
The different versions of the catalogue reflect the change in the medium of publication from printed to electronic, the format of most other large catalogues. The most recent nearly full update to these catalogs was published in 2010. This update provided revised J2000, epoch 2000 coordinates cross-matched with 2MASS sources where possible.
- Gliese, W. (1957). Katalog der Sterne näher ALS 20 Parsek für 1950.0 (in German). Astronomisches Rechen-Institut, Heidelberg, 89 Seiten. Bibcode:1957MiABA...8....1G.
- Gliese, W. "Catalogue of Nearby Stars. Edition 1969". Veröffentlichungen des Astronomischen Rechen-Instituts Heidelberg, Nr. 22, Verlag G. Braun, Karlsruhe, 117 Seiten. Bibcode:1969VeARI..22....1G.
- Woolley, R. V. D. R.; Epps, E. A.; Penston, M. J.; Pocock, S. B. (July 1997). Stars within 25 pc of the Sun (Woolley+ 1970) (VizieR On-line Data Catalog: V/32A. Originally published in: 1970ROAn....5....1W ed.). SIMBAD. Bibcode:1997yCat.5032....0W.
- Gliese, W.; Jahreiß, H. (1979). "Nearby Star Data Published 1969-1978". Astronomy & Astrophysics Supplement Series. 38: 423–448. Bibcode:1979A&AS...38..423G.
- "Dictionary of Nomenclature of Celestial Objects". Centre de Données astronomiques de Strasbourg. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- Gliese, W.; Jahreiß, H. (1991). "Preliminary Version of the Third Catalogue of Nearby Stars". In L.E. Brotzmann; S.E. Gesser. The Astronomical Data Center CD-ROM: Selected Astronomical Catalogs. I. Greenbelt, MD: NASA/Astronomical Data Center, Goddard Space Flight Center. Bibcode:1991adc..rept.....G.
- STAUFFER J.; TANNER A.M.; BRYDEN G.; RAMIREZ S.; BERRIMAN B.; CIARDI D.R.; KANE S.R.; MIZUSAWA T.; PAYNE A.; PLAVCHAN P.; VON BRAUN K.; WYATT P.; KIRKPATRICK J.D (2010). "Accurate Coordinates and 2MASS Cross-IDs for (Almost) All Gliese Catalog Stars". Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific. 122: 885–897. arXiv: . Bibcode:2010PASP..122..885S. doi:10.1086/655773.