Golden Gate Capital
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Products||Leveraged buyout, growth capital|
|Total assets||$12 billion|
Number of employees
Golden Gate Capital is an American private equity firm based in San Francisco. The firm makes investments primarily in mature technology companies, as well as other select industries, through leveraged buyout transactions as well as significant minority purchases and growth capital investments. As of March 2014[update], it had $12 billion in assets under management (AUM).
It has approximately 30 investment professionals.
The firm primarily seeks investments, less than $100 million in size, that have possible rapid gains in equity, with a significant possibility of liquidity.
On May 15, 2007, Limited Brands announced its intent to sell a 67% stake in Express to Golden Gate Capital Partners. When the sale was finalized in July 2007, Golden Gate's stake in the company was 75% for approximately $550M, instead of the announced 67%.
The firm made a larger investment buying a majority stake in the Romano's Macaroni Grill restaurant chain for $131M in 2008.
In 2006, it bought Neways International for $500 M, acquiring the company at an auction held by the divorce court after a $700 M transaction led by Ramy El-Batrawi was abandoned because of the feuding between the divorcing couple that owned Neways International.
In June 2009, the company announced the purchase of the J. Jill brand business from Talbots. In April 2011, the Bahrain-based private equity firm Arcapita bought Jill Acquisitions from Golden Gate.
In the aftermath of the bursting of the Dot-com bubble the firm has shown a pattern of investments in technology companies that may have been distressed by the recession of that time.
In May 2015, the company backed Philip P. Gass and Kostas Cheliotis with $750 million for a reinsurance company.
- de la Merced, Michael J. (20 March 2014). "Golden Gate Buys Stake in Parent of Ann Taylor". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Wolverine Worldwide, Golden Gate Capital and Blum Capital complete acquisition of Collective Brands". Golden Gate Capital.
- GRACE LEONG - Daily Herald (9 November 2006). "Neways sold to private equity firm". Daily Herald.
- "Paying the Price for J. Jill, multichannelmerchant.com, July 1, 2009". Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- CIT Provides Financing for J. Jill Acquisition - Bloomberg.com. Origin-www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved on 2014-05-23.
- Press Release: California Pizza Kitchen to Be Acquired by Golden Gate Capital; Stockholders to Receive $18.50 in Cash Per Share
- "Darden Completes Sale Of Red Lobster To Golden Gate Capital". MarketWatch. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- Greg Hilburn (November 12, 2014). "Dow sells ANGUS to private equity firm". The News-Star.
- Buhayar, Noah (13 May 2015). "Golden Gate Capital Backs Gass in $750 Million Reinsurance Push". Bloomberg. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
|This article about a private equity or venture capital firm based in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|