|Full name||Gordon Francis Ogden|
|Date of birth||14 February 1909|
|Date of death||23 August 2001(aged 92)|
|Original team(s)||Northcote CYMS|
|Height / weight||177 cm / 69 kg|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 1937.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
After appearing in losing Preliminary Finals at the end of the 1936 and 1937 seasons, Ogden left Melbourne. He initially signed a deal to be playing coach of Victorian Football Association club Brighton in 1938, but instead went to country club Warracknabeal after receiving a better offer. The following year, he signed as captain-coach of VFA club Williamstown, at the time a financially troubled club that had been very weak on-field. Although ‘Town had won only twice in 1938, Ogden steered them to a flag in 1939 and captain-coached Williamstown for 56 games from 1939 to 1941.
In 1947 Ogden joined the VFL senior list of umpires, umpired 14 VCFL matches and was emergency field umpire for a single VFL match. He returned as a non-playing coach of Williamstown in 1948, serving two seasons and leading the club to another premiership in 1949. Odgen has been inducted into the Williamstown Football Club's Hall of Fame.
The former Melbourne defender then joined lowly Yarraville as coach in 1951. The Eagles had been last in the previous three seasons, but under Ogden they developed so well as to reach a Grand Final in 1953, only to be thrashed by ten goals against a powerful Port Melbourne combination. For the following season it was generally thought Yarraville’s prospects were extremely good, but apart from a five-game winning streak mid-season the Eagles were extremely disappointing in 1954, and 1955 was no different. Ogden planned to retire from coaching the Eagles at the end of that season, and did not change his mind although the Yarraville committee attempted to re-appoint him for 1956.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gordon Ogden.|
- "G. Ogden for country". The Argus. Melbourne, VIC. 23 February 1938. p. 22.
- Fiddian, Marc (2004); The VFA; A History of the Victorian Football Association 1877-1995; p. 48
- Williamstown Chronicle. 16 May 1947 p. 6.
- "Williamstown FC Hall of Fame inductees". Archived from the original on 11 September 2014. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- Fiddian, Marc; Where Eagles Flew: A History of the Yarraville Football Club; p. 61 ISBN 9780987062505
- Fiddian, Where Eagles Flew, p. 62
- Gordon Ogden's statistics from AFL Tables
- Holmesby, Russell and Main, Jim (2007). The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers. 7th ed. Melbourne: Bas Publishing.