Greers Ferry Dam
|Greers Ferry Dam|
Greers Ferry Dam in Cleburne County, Arkansas
|Location||Cleburne County, Arkansas|
|Construction cost||$46.5 million|
|Dam and spillways|
|Impounds||Little Red River|
|Height||243 feet (74 m)|
|Length||1,704 feet (519 m)|
|Creates||Greers Ferry Lake|
|Total capacity||2,844,000 acre⋅ft (3.508 km3)|
|Surface area||31,500 acres (12,700 ha)|
|Normal elevation||462 feet (141 m)|
|Installed capacity||96 megawatts (129,000 hp)|
|Annual generation||189 gigawatt-hours (6.4×1011 BTU)|
Building the dam
Construction of the dam began in March 1959 and was completed in December 1962. The lake serves the Heber Springs area flood control, and is a site for recreation and power generation. When construction began on the dam in 1956, hundreds of workers showed up looking for work. The newly hired workers then rented empty houses next to the construction site, and workers were even building their own homes next to the soon-to-be lake. Once all the workers arrived, people and business owners saw an opportunity in this construction and built motels, shops, and stores next to the construction site so workers would have a place to shop and relax. Farmers also felt the benefit of the construction, as work on the lake created demand for livestock and agriculture.
After completion, the lake was dedicated on October 3, 1963 by John F. Kennedy. The trip was his last major public appearance before his fateful trip to Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963, where he was assassinated. This event marks the only time a sitting president has visited Cleburne County. In his remarks in Heber Springs, Kennedy explained that the Greers Ferry project and others like it were investments in Arkansas and the nation's future. He was right - after the lake filled, tourism boomed, many businesses opened and reopened, and Greers Ferry Lake became one of Arkansas' leading destinations. Today, many resort communities dot the shores of Greers Ferry Lake.
The dam supports a power plant with two generating units rated at 48,000 kilowatts per unit.
- Encyclopedia of Arkansas - Greers Ferry Dam and Lake
- Encyclopedia of Arkansas - Greers Ferry Dam
- United States Army Corps of Engineers - Overview
- USACE - Greers Ferry Lake - Elevation Fact Sheet
- USACE - Greers Ferry Dam 50th Anniversary Dedication Celebration Ceremony
- "Greers Ferry Dam 50th Anniversary Dedication Celebration Ceremony" (PDF). United States Army Corps of Engineers. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "Greers Ferry Dam, A project of the U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers" (PDF). Heber Springs Chamber of Commerce. October 3, 1963: 1. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- "Remarks in Heber Springs, Arkansas, at the Dedication of Greers Ferry Dam". The American Presidency Project. October 3, 1963. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- "Overview". USACE. Retrieved February 2, 2019.