|Occupation||novelist and comic book writer|
|Alma mater||Harvard University, Trinity College, Oxford|
|Notable works||Batman: The Dark Knight
Foolkiller: White Angels
Penguin: Pain and Prejudice
Gregg Hurwitz is an American author of crime novels and comic books.
Personal life and education
Hurwitz grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area graduating from Bellarmine College Preparatory in San Jose. While completing a bachelor of arts degree from Harvard University (1995) and a master's from Trinity College, Oxford in Shakespearean tragedy (1996), he wrote his first novel. He was the undergraduate scholar-athlete of the year at Harvard for pole vaulting and played college soccer in England, where he was a Knox Fellow.
He lives in Los Angeles.
Hurwitz is the author of The Tower, Minutes to Burn, Do No Harm, The Kill Clause, The Program, Troubleshooter, Last Shot, The Crime Writer, Trust No One, Don't Look Back, and the upcoming Orphan X. His books have been shortlisted for best novel of the year by the International Thriller Writers, nominated for the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger, chosen as feature selections for all four major literary book clubs, honored as Book Sense Picks, and translated into twenty-five languages.
He has written screenplays for Jerry Bruckheimer Films, Paramount Studios, MGM, and ESPN, developed television series for Warner Bros. and Lakeshore, written Wolverine, Punisher, and Foolkiller for Marvel Comics, and published numerous academic articles on Shakespeare. He has taught fiction writing in the USC English Department, and guest lectured for UCLA, and for Harvard in the United States and around the world. In the course of researching his thrillers, he has snuck onto demolition ranges with Navy SEALs, swam with sharks in the Galápagos Islands, and gone undercover into mind-control cults. He has written and produced season two of the TV show V.
- The Tower 384 pages, April 1999, ISBN 978-0684851914
- Minutes to Burn 432 pages, July 2001, ISBN 978-0060188863
- Do No Harm 400 pages, July 2002, ISBN 978-0060008864
- The Kill Clause 576 pages, August 2004, ISBN 978-0060530396
- The Program 464 pages, August 2005, ISBN 978-0060530419
- Troubleshooter 400 pages, July 2006, ISBN 978-0060731458
- Last Shot 496 pages, July 2007, ISBN 978-0060731472
- The Crime Writer (also known as I See You) 320 pages, June 2008, ISBN 978-0143113447
- Trust No One (UK title as We Know) 448 pages, June 2010, ISBN 978-0312389567
- They're Watching (UK title as Or She Dies) 528 pages, April 2011, ISBN 978-0312544171
- You're Next 560 pages, March 2012, ISBN 978-1250005892
- The Survivor 512 pages, July 2013, ISBN 978-1250029430
- Tell No Lies 384 pages, August 2013, ISBN 978-0312625528
- Don't Look Back 400 pages, August 2014, ISBN 978-0-312-62683-9
- Orphan X 368 pages, January 2016, ISBN 978-1250067845
- Batman: The Dark Knight #10-29, 0, Annual #1 (2012-2014)
- Detective Comics #0, 27 (2012-2014)
- Penguin: Pain and Prejudice #1-5 (2011-2012)
- Foolkiller: White Angels #1-5 (2008-2009)
- The New Avengers #55 (2009)
- Punisher #60, 75 (2008-2009)
- The Savage Axe of Ares #1 (2011)
- The Vengeance of Moon Knight #1-4, 8-9 (2009-2010)
- Wolverine Annual #1 (2007)
- Wolverine: Flies to a Spider #1 (2009)
- Wolverine: Switchback #1 (2009)
- X-Men Forever #4 (2009)
- The Book of Henry (2016, writer)
- V (2011)
- Wilkens, John (July 23, 2011). "For Hurwitz, thrillers come when sleep won’t". U-T San Diego. Archived from the original on August 31, 2013.
- Sisterson, Craig (May 20, 2011). "Gregg Hurwitz: Writing from experience". The New Zealand Herald. Archived from the original on October 5, 2014.
- Gregg Hurwitz at the Grand Comics Database
- Phegley, Kiel (August 3, 2012). "The Bat Signal: Gregg Hurwitz Makes The Dark Knight A 'Survivor'". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "Interview: Gregg Hurwitz". Major Spoilers. July 3, 2012. Archived from the original on August 6, 2013. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- Official website
- MacMillan author page
- Gregg Hurwitz at the Comic Book DB
- Gregg Hurwitz at Mike's Amazing World of Comics
- Gregg Hurwitz at the Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators