|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States of America|
|Labels||SPV, Metal Blade|
|Associated acts||The Allknowing
|Past members||Former members|
Grip Inc. is a groove metal band and side project of drummer Dave Lombardo. The band was formed in 1993, and are signed to SPV Records. The band has been on and off since it formed, although its future is uncertain due to drummer Dave Lombardo's other music projects and the death of frontman Gus Chambers.
The pair recruited bassist Jason Viebrooks and vocalist Gus Chambers to complete the line-up, releasing their debut record in 1995. Entitled Power of Inner Strength, the album was distributed via California-based label Metal Blade Records.
Prior to the album's release Lombardo described leaving Slayer as a career low, because he did not know what type of music to play. Allmusic reviewer Vincent Jeffries singled out Lombardo for praise on the album, remarking that Slayer fans "will enjoy the drummer's double bass work and overall aggression throughout the disc." Sorychta asserts critics and music fans always spot mistakes in their music, because of Lombardo's popularity with Slayer – expecting the band to sound like Slayer and complain. However, when Lombardo uses the double bass drum, Sorychta asserted people complain "now Grip Inc. sound exactly like Slayer."
The band released Nemesis in 1997; Jeffries praised Lombardo's "crushing drum work" which takes center stage on the album. Bassist Viebrooks left the band and was replaced by Stuart Carruthers in 1997. With a new bassist, the band released Solidify in 1999, which was described as a step towards "progressive and exotic rhythms, structures, and instrumentations, while never compromising intensity" by Jeffries.
- Gus Chambers
- Gus Chambers (1956 – 13 October 2008) took over vocals in Coventry punk band Squad (formed late 1977) from Terry Hall (who left to form The Specials). They released their first single Red Alert in 1978. Terry Hall had helped pen several of the tracks on the first single before he left.
- Chambers later went on to form Grip Inc. in 1993 as well as Squad 21 and Squealer A.D. He died on 13 October 2008 of a toxic combination of his medication and alcohol.
- Chaz Grimaldi
- Chaz Grimaldi played bass for the band, he is currently with Grim Reaper & Isolation in the U.K. He was with Baltimore band Unbroken from October 2004 to January 2008.
- Bobby Gustafson
- Bobby Gustafson played guitar for the group.
- Jason Viebrooks
- Jason Viebrooks played bass on the first two albums before his departure. He is currently with Cincinnati outfit Lorenzo.
- Jason is just a session player for Lorenzo and is the full-time bassist for Heathen once again
- Eric Glass
- Eric Glass is a former bass player for the band, playing on the US & Japan legs of the Nemesis tour.
- Stuart Carruthers
- Stuart Carruthers is a former bass player for the band, having toured Nemesis as well as recording bass guitar on and touring the album Solidify.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Power of Inner Strength||
|Hostage To Heaven EP||
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
||Power Of Inner Strength|
|2004||"The Answer"||Kobayashi Mediaverbund||Incorporated|
|"Curse (Of The Cloth)"||
- Lolk. "Waldemar Sorychta interview". antenna.nu. Retrieved 10 January 2006.
- Linsday, Cam. "Dave Lombardo interview". exclaim. Retrieved 19 August 2007.
- Jeffries, Vincent. "Biography - Grip Inc.". Allmusic. Retrieved 11 June 2007.
- Jeffries, Vincent. "Power of Inner Strength - Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 23 July 2007.
- Lolk. "Waldemar Sorychta interviewed by Lolk". Antenna.nu. Retrieved 18 February 2007.
- Former GRIP INC. Singer GUS CHAMBERS Dead At 52 17 October 2008 roadrunnerrecords.com
- "Unbroken Rock". Unbroken Rock.
- "The Allknowing Myspace Page". Myspace.