Gruntruck members 1992 L/R Norman Scott, Tim Paul, Tom Niemeyer, Ben McMillan
|Origin||Seattle, Washington, USA|
|Genres||Grunge, heavy metal, alternative metal|
|Associated acts||Skin Yard
|Past members||Ben McMillan (deceased)
Gruntruck was an American rock band formed in 1989 in Seattle, Washington by Ben McMillan and Scott McCullum, both previously from Skin Yard. Tommy Niemeyer from The Accüsed and Tim Paul, previously of Final Warning, rounded out the initial, classic line-up. Their sound was described as grunge, and the band focused more on the metal side of the genre.
The band only released two albums. They toured the U.S. and Canada with Alice in Chains in fall of 1992, as well as Europe in the winter of 1993 with Pantera, who were supporting Vulgar Display of Power. According to Sean Kinney, they were Alice in Chains's most supported band at the time, opening alongside the Screaming Trees for Alice in Chains' Dirt tour. In 1996, they ended up in a legal battle with Roadrunner Records for contract termination. Gruntruck won the case, but at heavy cost to the band. Bassist Tim Paul left and was replaced by Alex Sibbald, and following a less than stellar tour with Circus of Power, drummer Scott McCullum left as well. In 1996, they resurfaced with new drummer Josh Sinder, previously of The Accüsed to record a 3-track EP called Shot, Illusion, New God. The classic lineup reformed in the late 90s for various shows and recordings that never properly surfaced. In 2000, the band had a successful comeback stint in the Northwest playing many shows to audiences eager for Gruntruck. However, the band disbanded permanently in 2002, leaving behind rumors of a possible album of unreleased rarities that may or may not surface in the near future. Ben McMillan died from diabetes on January 26, 2008.
- Ben McMillan - vocals, guitar (deceased)
- Tom Niemeyer - guitar
- Tim Paul - bass (1989–1993, 1997–2002)
- Scott McCullum - drums (1989–1993, 1997–2002)
- Alex Sibbald - bass (1993–1996)
- Josh Sinder - drums (1993–1996)
- 1990: Inside Yours (eMpTy Records/Roadrunner Records)
- 1992: Push (Roadrunner Records)
- 1996: Shot, Illusion, New God EP (Betty Records)
- 1991: Another Damned Seattle Compilation (Dashboard Hula Girl Records)
- 2005: The All-Star Sessions (Roadrunner Records) - Appearance by Tommy Niemeyer, credited as member of Gruntruck
- "Gruntruck biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- Hicks, J. Rush Jr. (Spring 2000), "Should a Record Company Be Alarmed When an Artist Files for Bankruptcy?", MEIEA Journal 1 (1): 84–117, retrieved 2010-05-18
- Sharpe-Young, Garry (November 2005), New Wave of American Heavy Metal, retrieved 2007-08-24