|Genres||Popular Latin American music, World music, fusion, Andean, folk, trova, Urbana, Brazilian music, Afro Caribbean, nueva canción|
|Labels||Illiniza Recs (1984–present)|
|Associated acts||Inti-illimani, Nano Stern, Hugo Idrovo, Mercedes Sosa, Quilapayún, Violeta Parra, Pablo Neruda, Víctor Jara, Pueblo Nuevo|
Byron Viteri Polit|
Gem Viteri Polit
Illiniza (also known as Grupo Illiniza) is a cultural association from Ecuador centered in Popular Latin American music since 1979. It has been recognized as one of the most influential musical ensembles in the country.
Illiniza was established in 1979 and debuted on TV by winning a national music contest. The ensemble was created with the idea of culturally linking and preserving the different nationalities and music of the communities that make up Latin America. It all began at the Instituto Nacional Mejía, a high school made up of city youth, some of whom were quite concerned about the reality of the time, and wanted to do something proactively in order to change things and influence people in a positive way.
Illiniza has performed on stage next to musicians and dancing ensembles from Latin America, North America, Europe, Asia and Africa such as Inti-Illimani, Joan Manuel Serrat, Luis Eduardo Aute, Mercedes Sosa, Silvio Rodríguez, León Gieco, Quilapayun, Los Nocheros, Quinteto Tiempo, The Moscow Ballet, Piero De Benedictis, Alex Alvear, Los Olimareños, Los Visconti, Tito Fernández, Illapu, Gabino Palomares, Los Folkloristas, Pete Seeger, Holly Near, Bernice Johnson Reagon, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Vicente Feliú, Tania Libertad, Quinteto Tiempo, Manuel Capella, Grupo Raiz, Noel Nicola, Kosetsu Minami, Adrian Goizueta, Pueblo Nuevo, Jaime Guevara, Roy Brown, Carlos Díaz "Caíto", Luis Enrique Mejía Godoy, among others.
The members of the group are generally invited to tour European or American countries with the purpose of sharing their repertoire which is varied and elaborate, demonstrating instrumental and vocal virtuosity in festivals and concerts that include performing genres such as fusion, world music, folk, Latin, trova, Afro Caribbean, Andean, Brazilian, and nueva canción, among others.
Awards and distinctions
In 2010 illiniza received several Awards in a national music composition contest entitled Canción de los Andes which is organized yearly by the Education Ministry of Ecuador. The categories include Innovation of Musical Genre and Execution of musical instruments
Throughout its long musical career spanning over 30 years, the association has received several national and international awards as well as distinctions including trophies, gold and silver medals, certifications in European as well as American music and dance competitions, festivals and concert performances. They have also been awarded the prestigious title Ambassadors of Art and Friendship in Belgium.
Concert performances, Musical Atelliers, Instrumentation Workshops, Musical Instrument Seminars oriented towards teaching techniques such as instrument performing and playing, Educational Workshops, Musical Instruments Hand crafting and Manufacturing.
- Ecuador. "Grupo Illiniza | Gratis muziek, tourneedata, foto's, video's". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- [dead link]
- "Illiniza, de gira por Italia - SEP. 30, 2008 - Cultura - Historicos". El Universo. 2008-09-30. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- "Canción de los Andes". Ministeriodecultura.gob.ec. 2010-06-04. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- "Illiniza recibe varios galardones en concurso - illiniza". Sites.google.com. 2011-01-15. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- "Andean Music: Charango, Quilapayún, Grupo Illiniza, Siku, Luzmila Carpio, Quena, Venezuelan Bambuco, Kantu, El Cóndor Pasa, Huayño (9781156764077): Books". Amazon.com. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- "Ecuadorian Musical Groups: Kiruba, Grupo Illiniza, Verde70, Nuages Jazz (9781158547593): Books". Amazon.com. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- "La Musica Popular del ecuador a partir de 1950" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-09-29.
- http://www.elcomercio.com/entretenimiento/Agora-completa-concierto-Inti-Illimani_0_601140084.html Illiniza en concierto de Música Latinoamericana con Inti Illimani en Agora de la Casa de la Cultura completa
- http://desdelabutacadelsucre.blogspot.com/2010/02/grupo-illiniza_19.html Grupo Illiniza en el Teatro Nacional Sucre