Gulf Breeze High School
|Gulf Breeze High School|
|Gulf Breeze, Florida 32561
|School district||Santa Rosa County School District|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Rival||Navarre High School|
|Accreditation||Florida Department of Education|
Gulf Breeze High School is a public secondary school located at 675 Gulf Breeze Parkway in Gulf Breeze, Florida. It is one of six high schools of the Santa Rosa County School District and the only high school in the city of Gulf Breeze.
Gulf Breeze High School has been consistently named an A+ school by the state of Florida. In 2010, Gulf Breeze High was ranked 50th of the 597 Florida public high schools in FCAT Reading and Math grades.
On the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT), Gulf Breeze High School's scores have beaten state averages by wide margins in all subjects tested (Writing, Reading, Math, Science) in all years on record (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012). Gulf Breeze High School offers students the opportunity to take Advanced Placement® course work and exams, with a participation rate of 29 percent as of 2014.
The school is contained within five structures and encompasses both sides of U.S. Route 98. In addition to a large main entrance building, Gulf Breeze High consists of an Art and Drama Department building, a Foreign Language Department building, an ESE building, and a Band and Music Department building.
Additional adjacent facilities include tennis courts, basketball courts, a baseball complex, three practice fields for soccer and football, and a large stadium. On August 4, 2010, a $1.5 million field house addition was completed.
Adjacent to the high school are Gulf Breeze Elementary School and Gulf Breeze Middle School, creating a large educational campus in the heart of the small Gulf Breeze peninsula. The high quality of all three schools and the geographically limited land mass of Gulf Breeze are often credited in combination for bolstering property values on the peninsula.
Gulf Breeze High has a moderately diverse student body. As of 2010, 82% are White, non-Hispanic, 3% are Hispanic, 2% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 1% are Native American/Alaskan Native, and less than 1% are Black, non-Hispanic.
In 2010, 16% of GBHS students were eligible for free or reduced lunch programs. Florida, the state itself, had 50% of students eligible for free or reduced lunch programs - a considerable difference when compared to Gulf Breeze High.
Gulf Breeze High had a 23:1 student-teacher ratio in 2010. That is, there were 23 students for every full-time equivalent teacher.
- 2012 Class 2A State Finalists (Boys)
This is the first time in eight years that the boys golf team will compete in the state tournament.
2015 Class 3A Boys Soccer Regional Semifinalists
- 2012 Class 5A State Quarterfinalists (Girls)
- 2011 Class 5A State Runner-up (Girls)
- 2010 Class 5A State Semifinalists (Girls)
The Gulf Breeze Dolphins competed for the first time in the Class 5A State Volleyball Championship game on November 18, 2011. This was the first appearance by a Pensacola area volleyball team since 1997.
- 2015 Florida High School Athletic Association Class 2A State Wrestling Tournament Third Place 
The school's fight song is Hooray for Gulf Breeze played by the Gulf Breeze Soundwave Band.
The school offers a large amount of clubs pertaining to a variety of interests. Each year GBHS hosts 'Club Rush' - an event located in the school's media center that allows incoming freshman and sophomore students to learn more about the current clubs available. In order for a club to be established, it must be sponsored by a member of the Gulf Breeze High faculty.
Examples of specific nationwide organizations active in Gulf Breeze High include Art Honor Society, French Honor Society, Latin Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Quill & Scroll.
- "Welcome to Gulf Breeze High School." Santa Rosa Home. Web. 13 Sept. 2011. <http://www.santarosa.k12.fl.us/gbh/>.
- "Santa Rosa County District Schools." Santa Rosa Country School District. Web. 6 Nov. 2011. <http://www.santarosa.k12.fl.us/schools.html>.
- "Florida High Schools Rankings." SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools. Web. 13 Sept. 2011. <http://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/schoolrank.aspx?level=3>.
- "Gulf Breeze High School Test Scores." GreatSchools. Web. 13 Sept. 2011. <http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/achievement/fl/2743>.
- "Gulf Breeze High School Overview" U.S. News and World Report. Web. 16 Jan. 2014. <http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/florida/districts/santa-rosa-county-school-district/gulf-breeze-high-school-5539>.
- Brannon, Pam. "GBHS OK’d for New Combo Field House." Gulf Breeze News. Web. 13 Sept. 2011. <http://www.gulfbreezenews.com/news/2011-05-19/School/GBHS_OKd_for_new_combo_field_house.html>.
- Thompson, Jason. "New Field House Addition Completed." Gulf Breeze News. 5 Aug. 2010. Web. 13 Sept. 2011. <http://www.gulfbreezenews.com/news/2010-08-05/Sports/New_field_house_addition_completed.html>.
- "Student Ethnicity." education.com. Web. 6 Nov. 2011. <http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/us/florida/gulf-breeze/gulf-breeze-high-school/#students-and-teachers>.
- "Gulf Breeze High School." education.com. Web. 6 Nov. 2011. <http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/us/florida/gulf-breeze/gulf-breeze-high-school/#students-and-teachers>.
- "Student-Teacher Ratio." education.com. Web. 6 Nov. 2011. <http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/us/florida/gulf-breeze/gulf-breeze-high-school/#students-and-teachers>.
- "Region 1-2A Golf: Gulf Breeze boys headed to state." www.pnj.com. Web. 23 Oct. 2012. <http://www.pnj.com/article/20121024/SPORTS10/310230031/Region-1-2A-Golf-Gulf-Breeze-boys-headed-state?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cs>.
- "2015 FHSAA Class 3A Boys Soccer Championship" www.fhsaa.org. Web. 29 Mar. 2015. <http://www.fhsaa.org/node/18704>.
- "Gulf Breeze volleyball falls in state title game." www.pnj.com. Web. 5 Dec. 2011. <http://www.pnj.com/article/20111118/SPORTS10/111118019/Gulf-Breeze-volleyball-falls-state-title-game>.
- "Gulf Breeze wrestler finishes third at state tourney" www.pnj.com. Web. 14 Mar. 2015. <http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/03/14/gulf-breeze-wrestler-finishes-third-state-tourney/24785489/>.
- "‘Club Rush’ gives students door to involvement." www.gulfbreezenews.com. Web. 5 Dec. 2011. <http://www.gulfbreezenews.com/news/2011-09-29/School/Club_Rush_gives_students_door_to_involvement.html>.