Gulf Breeze High School
|Gulf Breeze High School|
|Gulf Breeze, Florida 32561
|School district||Santa Rosa County School District|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue and Gold|
|Rival||Navarre High School|
|Accreditation||Florida Department of Education|
Gulf Breeze High School is a public secondary school located at 675 Gulf Breeze Parkway in Gulf Breeze, Florida. It is one of six high schools of the Santa Rosa County School District and the only high school in the city of Gulf Breeze.
Gulf Breeze High School has been consistently named an "A+" school by the state of Florida. In Spring, 2016, 98% of the students tested in the new Florida State Assessment. The scores resulted in GBHS continuing to maintain its "A+" school status.  In 2010, Gulf Breeze High was ranked 50th of the 597 Florida public high schools in FCAT Reading and Math grades.
On the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT), Gulf Breeze High School's scores have beaten state averages by wide margins in all subjects tested (Writing, Reading, Math, Science) in all years on record (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012). Gulf Breeze High School offers students the opportunity to take Advanced Placement® course work and exams, with a participation rate of 29 percent as of 2014. Students may also enroll in one of two Career Academies at GBHS. The Academy of Multimedia Design & Technology, led by teacher Heather Renfroe has consistently had a 90% pass rate in Adobe Industry Certification exams and more than 600 students have earned one or more Adobe credentials which factors heavily into the schools A+ rating. The Academy of Health Professions had its first credentialing year in 2015-16. The pass rate was 90% with 19 out of 21 students passing the Certified Medical Assistant certification exam.
The school is contained within five structures and encompasses both sides of U.S. Route 98. In addition to a large main entrance building, Gulf Breeze High consists of an Art and Drama Department building, a Foreign Language Department building, an ESE building, and a Band and Music Department building.
Additional adjacent facilities include six tennis courts, basketball courts, a baseball complex, three practice fields for soccer, football and lacrosse, and a large stadium. On August 4, 2010, a $1.5 million field house addition was completed. In 2014, new baseball and softball field houses were completed, in 2015 the baseball complex received a face lift so all buildings would match and be aesthetically pleasing and coordinate in color; the spectator stands were covered for sun protection and in 2016 a new softball indoor batting facility was completed.
Adjacent to the high school are Gulf Breeze Elementary School and Gulf Breeze Middle School, creating a large educational campus in the heart of the small Gulf Breeze peninsula. The high quality of all three schools and the geographically limited land mass of Gulf Breeze are often credited in combination for bolstering property values on the peninsula.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2017)|
In 2015, 19.9% of GBHS students were eligible for free or reduced lunch programs.
In 2015, 61% of GBHS teachers held a Bachelor's Degree, 38% held a Master's Degree.
Gulf Breeze High had a 23:1 student-teacher ratio in 2010.
- 2012 Class 2A State Finalists (Boys)
This is the first time in eight years that the boys golf team will compete in the state tournament.
2016 Coach Ryan Davenport selected as Pensacola News Journal Coach of the Year "PNJ Winter SportsAll Area Picks" <http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/03/26/pnj-winter-allarea/82307530/>.
2015 Class 3A Boys Soccer Regional Semifinalists
- 2012 Class 5A State Quarterfinalists (Girls)
- 2011 Class 5A State Runner-up (Girls)
- 2010 Class 5A State Semifinalists (Girls)
The Gulf Breeze Dolphins competed for the first time in the Class 5A State Volleyball Championship game on November 18, 2011. This was the first appearance by a Pensacola area volleyball team since 1997.
- 2015 Florida High School Athletic Association Class 2A State Wrestling Tournament Third Place 
The school offers a large amount of clubs pertaining to a variety of interests. Each year GBHS hosts 'Club Rush' - an event located in the school's media center that allows incoming freshman and sophomore students to learn more about the current clubs available. In order for a club to be established, it must be sponsored by a member of the Gulf Breeze High faculty.
Examples of specific nationwide organizations active in Gulf Breeze High include Art Honor Society, French Honor Society, Latin Honor Society, National Technical Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Quill & Scroll, International Thespian Society.
- Randy Renfroe, a former American professional baseball catcher, Palm Spring Angels, class of 1984
- Jason McKie, former American football fullback, class of 1998
- Abigail Spencer, actress, class of 1999
- Ashley Brown, actress, class of 2000
- Candace Bailey, actress, class of 2001
- Keith Savage, an American soccer player, class of 2003
- Ashley Ann Olsen, 2006, murder victim
- Doug Baldwin, an American football wide receiver, class of 2007
- Ben Lively, an American professional baseball pitcher, class of 2010
- "Welcome to Gulf Breeze High School." Santa Rosa Home. Web. 13 Sept. 2015. <http://www.santarosa.k12.fl.us/gbh/>.
- "Santa Rosa County District Schools." Santa Rosa Country School District. Web. 6 Nov. 2011. <http://www.santarosa.k12.fl.us/schools.html>.
- "Florida Department of Education". <http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/xls/1516/SchoolGrades16.xls>.
- "Florida High Schools Rankings." SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools. Web. 13 Sept. 2011. <http://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/schoolrank.aspx?level=3>.
- "Gulf Breeze High School Test Scores." GreatSchools. Web. 13 Sept. 2011. <http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/achievement/fl/2743>.
- "Gulf Breeze High School Overview" U.S. News and World Report. Web. 16 Jan. 2014. <http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/florida/districts/santa-rosa-county-school-district/gulf-breeze-high-school-5539>.
- Brannon, Pam. "GBHS OK’d for New Combo Field House." Gulf Breeze News. Web. 13 Sept. 2011. <http://www.gulfbreezenews.com/news/2011-05-19/School/GBHS_OKd_for_new_combo_field_house.html>.
- Thompson, Jason. "New Field House Addition Completed." Gulf Breeze News. 5 Aug. 2010. Web. 13 Sept. 2011. <http://www.gulfbreezenews.com/news/2010-08-05/Sports/New_field_house_addition_completed.html>.
- Home. Pensacola Beach Elementary School. Retrieved on January 31, 2017. "After completing Fifth Grade at the Beach School, most children attend Middle and High School in nearby Gulf Breeze which is part of the Santa Rosa County School District."
- "High School Attendance Zones" (2016). Escambia County School District. Retrieved on January 31, 2017.
- "Florida Department of Education SPAR". Web. 6 Nov. 2011. <http://doeweb-prd.doe.state.fl.us/eds/nclbspar/year1415/nclb1415.cfm?dist_schl=57_103>.
- "Gulf Breeze High School." education.com. Web. February 2016. <http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/us/florida/gulf-breeze/gulf-breeze-high-school/#students-and-teachers>.
- "Student-Teacher Ratio." education.com. Web. 6 Nov. 2011. <http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/us/florida/gulf-breeze/gulf-breeze-high-school/#students-and-teachers>.
- "Region 1-2A Golf: Gulf Breeze boys headed to state." www.pnj.com. Web. 23 Oct. 2012. <http://www.pnj.com/article/20121024/SPORTS10/310230031/Region-1-2A-Golf-Gulf-Breeze-boys-headed-state?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cs>.
- "2015 FHSAA Class 3A Boys Soccer Championship" www.fhsaa.org. Web. 29 Mar. 2015. <http://www.fhsaa.org/node/18704>.
- "Gulf Breeze volleyball falls in state title game." www.pnj.com. Web. 5 Dec. 2011. <http://www.pnj.com/article/20111118/SPORTS10/111118019/Gulf-Breeze-volleyball-falls-state-title-game>.
- "Gulf Breeze wrestler finishes third at state tourney" www.pnj.com. Web. 14 Mar. 2015. <http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/03/14/gulf-breeze-wrestler-finishes-third-state-tourney/24785489/>.
- "‘Club Rush’ gives students door to involvement." www.gulfbreezenews.com. Web. 5 Dec. 2011. <http://www.gulfbreezenews.com/news/2011-09-29/School/Club_Rush_gives_students_door_to_involvement.html>.