Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education
|Founder||Dr.Raghunath G. Lagu, V. G. Kulkarni|
|Director||Dr. K. Subramaniam|
Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE) is a National Centre of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai, India. The broad goals of the institute are to promote equity and excellence in science and mathematics education from primary school to undergraduate college level, and encourage the growth of scientific literacy in the country. To these ends it carries out a wide spectrum of inter-related activities, which may be viewed under three broad categories:
- Research and development,
- Teacher orientation and science popularisation
- Olympiads and other students' nurture programmes
Three decades after its inception, HBCSE has emerged as the premier institution in the country for research and development in science, technology and mathematics education. It is India's nodal centre for Olympiad programmes in mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology and astronomy. Another major program of HBCSE is the National Initiative on Undergraduate Science (NIUS).
HBCSE runs a graduate school in science and mathematics education. Students admitted to HBCSE Graduate School work for the degree of Ph.D. in Science Education, which is a degree of TIFR (Deemed University).
|1974-1994||V. G. Kulkarni||Founder Director, began his career in 1953 at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai|
|1994-2008||Arvind Kumar||2nd Director, from Maharashtra, India, won the Padma Shri Award in 2011 for his contributions in the field of literature and education|
|2008-2011||Dr. Hemchandra Chintamani Pradhan||3rd Director, since July 2012, Pradhan has been associated, as a Raja Ramanna Fellow of the Department of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India|
|2011-2016||Jayashree Ramadas||4th Director|
|2016||K. Subramaniam||5th Director|
- "Science, education, research & innovation pillars of development - Times of India". Times of India. PTI. 22 March 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "Homi Bhabha National Institute gets HRD ministry's nod to start its off-campus centre - Times of India". Times of India. PTI. 18 February 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "12-Year-Old Boy From Kota Qualifies For International Biology Olympiad". NDTV. PTI. 4 January 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "People". HBCSE.
- Official website
- Mathematics Education Research, HBCSE, Mumbai India
- Small Science - Homi Bhabha Curriculum for Primary Science
- Hindi Learning Portal - HBCSE
- National Initiative on Undergraduate Science - HBCSE
- Olympiad Programme - HBCSE, India
- Asian Science Camp - 2010
- International Physics Olympiad, 2015, India
- Collaborative Learning Portal, HBCSE