HP Integrated Lights-Out
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Integrated Lights-Out, or iLO, is a proprietary embedded server management technology by Hewlett-Packard which provides out-of-band management facilities. The physical connection is an Ethernet port that can be found on most Proliant servers of the 300 and above series.
iLO makes it possible to perform activities on an HP server from a remote location. The iLO card has a separate network connection (and its own IP address) to which one can connect via HTTPS. Possible options are:
- Reset the server (in case the server doesn't respond anymore via the normal network card)
- Power-up the server (possible to do this from a remote location, even if the server is shut down)
- Remote console (in some cases however an 'Advanced license' may be required for some of the utilities to work)
- Mount remote physical CD/DVD drive or image
- Access the server's IML (Integrated Management Log)
- Can be manipulated remotely through XML-based Remote Insight Board Command Language (RIBCL)
- Full CLI support through RS-232 port (shared with system), though the inability to enter Function keys prevents certain operations
iLO provides some other utilities like virtual media (CD, floppy), virtual power and a remote console. iLO is either embedded on the system board, or available as a PCI card.
Prior to iLO, Compaq created several other lights out management products. The original was the Remote Insight Board (RIB), which was available as an EISA or PCI expansion card. RIB was replaced with RILOE (Remote Insight Light-Out Edition), which was only available for PCI. The original RILOE was replaced with RILOE II. HP stopped manufacturing RILOE II in 2006. The final firmware version for RILOE is 2.53(A) dated 9 Mar 2004 and for RILOE II is 1.21 dated 5 July 2006.
There have been multiple generations of iLO, each generation noted by a single digit number ("iLO 2"). Some generations of iLO are segmented into different editions, based on what features are licensed. iLO includes updatable firmware, for which HP periodically releases new versions.
|iLO||ProLiant G2, G3, and G4 servers||1.96 released 30 April 2014|
|iLO 2||ProLiant G5 and G6 servers, model numbers 300 and higher||2.29 released 7 October 2015||TLS fixes|
|iLO 3||ProLiant G7 servers||1.88 released 15 August 2016||XSS fixes|
|iLO 4||ProLiant Gen8 and Gen9 servers||2.44 released 25 Jul 2016|
Several APIs exist for interacting with HP iLO:
- Perl: Net::ILO
- Python: python-hpilo
- Ruby: ILOrb
- Powershell: HP Scripting Tools for Windows Powershell
- Intel Active Management Technology (iAMT)
- Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI)
- List of Hewlett-Packard products
- Out-of-band management
- . Visited 26 April 2012