|Hans L.M. Vangheluwe|
August 15, 1963|
|Alma mater||University of Ghent|
|Known for||Scientific contributions to Modeling and Simulation, Public Speeches|
|Fields||Computational Science and Engineering|
|Institutions||University of Antwerp, McGill University|
Hans L.M. Vangheluwe is a professor and researcher in the domain of Computer simulation and Modelling. He is currently professor at the University of Antwerp in Belgium, and at McGill University, Montreal. He was a co-founder of Modelica, a language for the acausal modelling of complex systems and Computer Automated Multiparadigm Modeling.
Vangheluwe has a masters in Physics from the University of Ghent (1986), followed by a masters in Computer Science (1988). He then worked at the University of Ghent as a research assistant under supervision of professor Ghislain Vansteenkiste, working in the area of biometrics and control engineering. He then was called up for military service, where he served as one of the two detaches in the "Beheerseenheid van het Mathematisch Model van de Noordzee en het Schelde Estuarium (BMM)" of the Belgian Navy, showing his proficiency in Simulation of the physical world. He obtained a FWO grant to work in the Concurrent Engineering Research Center (CERC) in Morgantown, West Virginia in 1996. Vangheluwe was employed at the University of Ghent as a project leader between 1994 and 1999. He received his PhD in science in 2000 at the University of Ghent. Afterwards, he started working as an assistant professor in the School of Computer Science at McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. In 2005, he was named a tenured professor at McGill University. In 2009, Vangheluwe returned to Belgium to work as a full professor at the University of Antwerp, Belgium.
- CAMPaM Workshops.
- Pieter J. Mosterman and Hans Vangheluwe. Computer Automated Multi-Paradigm Modeling: An Introduction. Simulation: Transactions of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International, 80(9):433-450, September 2004. Special Issue: Grand Challenges for Modeling and Simulation.
- Henk Vanhooren, Jurgen Meirlaen, Youri Amerlinck, Filip Claeys, Hans Vangheluwe, and Peter A. Vanrolleghem. WEST: Modelling biological wastewater treatment. Journal of Hydroinformatics, 5(1):27-50, 2003.
- Juan de Lara, Hans Vangheluwe, and Manuel Alfonseca. Meta-modelling and graph grammars for multi-paradigm modelling in AToM3. Software and Systems Modeling (SoSyM), 3(3):194-209, August 2004.
- Bin Chen, Ronghua Zhong, and Hans Vangheluwe. Integrating Base Object Model components into DEVS-based simulation. Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation, April 2010.
- Eugene Syriani and Hans Vangheluwe. A modular timed graph transformation language for simulation-based design. Software and Systems Modeling (SoSyM), In Press, Published Online First, 2011.