I Miss You (Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes album)
|I Miss You|
|Studio album by Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes|
|Recorded||Sigma Sound Studios
|Producer||Kenneth Gamble & Leon Huff|
|Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes chronology|
|Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes|
Reissue title and cover.
|Robert Christgau||B |
I Miss You (later reissued as Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes) is the debut album released by Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes on the Philadelphia International record label in August 1972. It was produced by Kenneth Gamble & Leon Huff.
The album title was changed from I Miss You to Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes and given a new cover after the success of the single "If You Don't Know Me by Now". The group's roster for this album is Lloyd Parks, Teddy Pendergrass, Harold Melvin, Lawrence Brown and Bernie Wilson. The album was arranged by Bobby Martin, Norman Harris and Thom Bell.
The album was remastered and reissued with bonus tracks in 2010 by Big Break Records.
The single "I Miss You" was featured in the film Dead Presidents.
All tracks written by Gamble and Huff, except where noted.
|1.||"I Miss You"||8:31|
|2.||"Ebony Woman"||Morris Bailey||3:37|
|3.||"Yesterday I Had the Blues"||7:25|
|4.||"If You Don't Know Me by Now"||3:27|
|5.||"Be for Real"||Leon Huff, Cary Gilbert, Kenneth Gamble||7:31|
|6.||"Let Me into Your World"||Kenneth Gamble, Norman Harris, Allan Felder||2:40|
|7.||"Let It Be You"||3:32|
|2010 remastered reissue bonus tracks|
|8.||"I Miss You" (Part I - Single Version)||3:20|
|9.||"Yesterday I Had the Blues" (Single Version)||3:54|
|10.||"Be for Real" (Single Version)||3:24|
|11.||"If You Don't Know Me by Now" (Live in San Francisco, 1973)||4:08|
The Blue Notes
- Leon Huff – piano
- Leonard Pakula – organ
- Ronnie Baker – bass
- Earl Young – drums
- Norman Harris, Roland Chambers, Bobby Eli – guitar
- Larry Washington – congas, bongos
- Vince Montana – vibraphone
- Don Renaldo and his Strings – strings
- Sam Reed and his Horns – horns
|U.S. Billboard Top LPs||53|
|U.S. Billboard Top Soul LPs||4|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions|
|1972||"I Miss You (Part 1)"||58||7||—|
|"If You Don't Know Me by Now"||3||1||9|
|1973||"Yesterday I Had the Blues"||63||12||—|
- Hamilton, Andrew. Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes review at AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- Christgau, Robert. "I Miss You review". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2011-06-26.
- Brown, Geoff. "Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes review". Mojo. Retrieved 2011-06-26.
- Chris Rizik, "R.I.P. Legendary soul music producer Bobby Martin", Soul Tracks, September 2013.
- "US Charts > Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes". Allmusic. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "UK Charts > Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2013-04-21.