George G. Harrap and Co.
George G. Harrap, Ltd (officially: George G. Harrap and Company Limited, London, Bombay) is a now defunct publisher of high quality specialty books, many of them educational, such as the memoirs of Winston Churchill, or highly illustrated with line drawings, engravings or etchings, such as the much republished classic educational children's book The Cave Boy of the Age of Stone from at least 1901 into the 1980s.
Publishers of English classics for the educational trade, Harrap was also known for publishing finely illustrated books by Rackham, Gooden, and others, and as the publisher of Winston Churchill.— Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America listing, about catalog listing of book: HARRAP, George G. Some Memories, 1901 – 1935
(subtitled: "A Publisher's Contribution to the History of Publishing").
In 1992, George G. Harrap and Co. was acquired and became part of Chambers Harrap of Scotland, a subsidiary of the French publisher CEP. Havas acquired CEP in 1997; Havas was then acquired by Vivendi in 1998. Vivendi sold its European book publishing to Lagardère Group in 2002.
In September 2009 the Edinburgh offices of Harrap, as part of Chambers Harrap, were closed. The Harrap's section has been moved to Paris, where, according to a press release by the owners, the plan is for Hachette Larousse publishers to manage it directly.
- Harrap's Bilingual Series
- Harrap's Modern English Series
- Harrap's Shilling Library
- Harrap's Modern English Series
- Harrap’s Standard Fiction Library
- "Search for George G. Harrap & Co. Ltd. London". Retrieved 2009-03-09.
Ten titles by George G. Harrap & Co. Ltd., London listed this date by this Antiquarian bookseller ranging from £50.00 — £17,500.00 (Pomona Britannica)
- "Publisher name search". Internet Archive. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- As cited in The Cave Boy of the Age of Stone. The latter novel is now in the public domain and is being brought out by many ebook publishers and epublishing archival projects.
- "Editions (search) list". About page, Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America offerings on sale 8 March 2009. Catalog listing for the book: HARRAP, George G. Some Memories, 1901 – 1935 (subtitled: "A Publisher's Contribution to the History of Publishing"). Retrieved 2009-03-08.[permanent dead link]
- "Editions (search) list". Retrieved 2009-03-08.
search for rare book store edition offerings on sale 8 March 2009
- "George G. Harrap and Company Limited". New Zealand Electronic Text Centre. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- Carreyrou, John; Frank, Robert (2002-10-23). "Vivendi Universal Reaches Pact To Sell Part of Publishing Unit --- France's Lagardere Is Set To Buy Non-U.S. Portion; Criticism of Deal Is Likely". Wall Street Journal, Eastern edition; New York, N.Y. New York, N.Y., United States, New York, N.Y. pp. –4. ISSN 0099-9660. ProQuest 398881177.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-08-09. Retrieved 2010-05-03.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Harrap's Bilingual Series (George G. Harrap & Co. Ltd.) - Book Series List, publishinghistory.com. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- Harrap's Shilling Library, owu.edu. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- Harrap's Modern English Series (George G. Harrap) - Book Series List, publishinghistory.com. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- Harrap’s Standard Fiction Library, owu.edu. Retrieved 13 February 2020.