George G. Harrap and Co.
George G. Harrap, Ltd (officially: George G. Harrap and Company Limited, London, Bombay) is a now defunct publisher of high quality specialty books, many of them educational, such as the memoirs of Winston Churchill, or highly illustrated with line drawings, engravings or etchings, such as the much republished classic educational children's book The Cave Boy of the Age of Stone from at least 1901 into the 1980s.
|“||Publishers of English classics for the educational trade, Harrap was also known for publishing finely illustrated books by Rackham, Gooden, and others, and as the publisher of Winston Churchill.||”|
|— Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America listing, about catalog listing of book: HARRAP, George G. Some Memories, 1901 – 1935|
(subtitled: "A Publisher's Contribution to the History of Publishing").
Sometime after 1986, George G. Harrap and Co. was acquired and became part of Chambers Harrap of Scotland.
In September 2009 the Edinburgh offices of Harrap, as part of Chambers Harrap, were closed. The Harrap's section has been moved to Paris, where, according to a press release by the owners, the plan is for Hachette Larousse publishers to manage it directly.
- "Search for George G. Harrap & Co. Ltd. London". Retrieved 2009-03-09.
Ten titles by George G. Harrap & Co. Ltd., London listed this date by this Antiquarian bookseller ranging from £50.00 — £17,500.00 (Pomona Britannica)
- "Publisher name search". Internet Archive. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- As cited in The Cave Boy of the Age of Stone. The latter novel is now in the public domain and is being brought out by many ebook publishers and epublishing archival projects.
- "Editions (search) list". About page, Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America offerings on sale 8 March 2009. Catalog listing for the book: HARRAP, George G. Some Memories, 1901 – 1935 (subtitled: "A Publisher's Contribution to the History of Publishing"). Retrieved 2009-03-08.
- "Editions (search) list". Retrieved 2009-03-08.
search for rare book store edition offerings on sale 8 March 2009
- "George G. Harrap and Company Limited". New Zealand Electronic Text Centre. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
|This publishing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|