Harris Mylonas (born November 16, 1978) is Associate Dean for Research and Associate Professor of Political Science and International Affairs in the Elliott School of International Affairs at George Washington University. He is the author of The Politics of Nation-Building: Making Co-Nationals, Refugees, and Minorities, which was awarded the Peter Katzenstein Book Prize in September 2013 and the 2014 European Studies Book Award by the Council for European Studies. He is currently working on another book project, The Strategic Logic of Diaspora Management.
Mylonas has contributed to the ideas of nation-building, state-building, and multilateralism through different publications and articles. He has also contributed to the analysis of the Greek government-debt crisis. He is also one of four vice-presidents of the Association for the Study of Nationalities, an academic association dedicated to the understanding of ethnicity and nationalism with a geographic focus in Central, Eastern, and Southeastern Europe, and Eurasia. He is an Associate editor for Nationalities Papers, a peer-reviewed academic journal published by Routledge.
Mylonas completed his undergraduate degree at The University of Athens, received an M.A. in political science from the University of Chicago, and a Ph.D. in political science from Yale University. He joined the faculty of the Elliott School of International Affairs at the George Washington University in 2009. He also served as an Academy Scholar at the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies at the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs in 2008-09 and 2011-12 academic years. In January 2017, Mylonas became Associate Dean for Research at the Elliott School of International Affairs.
- 2017. “Methodological Challenges in the Study of Stateless Nationalist Territorial Claims,” Territory, Politics, Governance, Volume 5, Issue 2: 145- 157 (with Nadav Shelef).
- 2016. “Threats to Territorial Integrity, National Mass Schooling, and Linguistic Commonality,” Comparative Political Studies, Volume 49, No. 11: 1446-1479 (with Keith Darden).
- 2015. “Methodological Problems in the Study of Nation-Building: Behaviorism and Historicist Solutions in Political Science,” Social Science Quarterly, Volume 96, Issue 3: 740–758.
- 2014. "Which Land is Our Land? Domestic Politics and Change in the Territorial Claims of Stateless Nationalist Movements,” Security Studies, Vol. 23, Issue 4, 754-786 (with Nadav Shelef).
- 2014. "Democratic Politics in Times of Austerity: The Limits of Forced Reform in Greece," Perspectives on Politics, Vol. 12, No. 2 (June): 435-443.
- 2014. “Interstate Relations, Perceptions, And Power Balance: Explaining China’s Policies Toward Ethnic Groups, 1949-1965,” Security Studies, Vol. 23, 148-181 (with Enze Han).
- 2013. “Ethnic Return Migration, Selective Incentives, and the Right to Freedom of Movement in Post-Cold War Greece”, in Willem Maas (ed.). Democratic Citizenship and the Free Movement of People (Leiden/Boston: Martinus Nijhoff).
- 2012. The Politics of Nation-Building: Making Co-Nationals, Refugees, and Minorities. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Review, by Karlo Basta, Canadian Journal of Political Science, Volume 49, Issue 01, March 2016, pp 173-174.
- Review, by Jan Erk, Public Administration, Volume 92, Issue 2, June 2014, pp. 518–524.
- Review, by Dmitry Gorenburg in Perspectives on Politics, Volume 12 / Issue 02 / June 2014, pp 512-513.
- Review, by Neovi M. Karakatsanis Journal of Modern Greek Studies Volume 32, Number 1, May 2014 p.210-12.
- Review, by Serhun Al in International Studies Review, Volume 16, Issue 2, June 2014, pp. 323–324.
- Review, by Jan Jakub Muś in Nationalities Papers, Volume 42, Issue 5, 2014, pp. 905-906.
- Review, by Jan Erk in Nations and Nationalism, Volume 20, Issue 3, July 2014, pp. 594–595.
- Review, by Roberto Belloni in Südosteuropa, 61 (2013), 4, p. 595-597.
- Review, by Georgi Derluguian in Modern Greek Studies Yearbook, Volume 28/29, 2012/2013, pp. 399-401.
- Review by Olena Podolian in Europe-Asia Studies, Volume 66, No. 10, December 2014, pp. 1735-1737.
- Review, by A. Paczynska. CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, Oct 2013 v51 i2 p350(1).
- 2012. “The Promethean Dilemma: Third-Party State-building in Occupied Territories”, Ethnopolitics, Issue 1, March, pp. 85–93 (with Keith Darden).
- 2011. "Is Greece a Failing Developed State?", in Botsiou, Konstantina E.; Klapsis, Antonis (eds.) The Konstantinos Karamanlis Institute for Democracy Yearbook 2011: The Global Economic Crisis and the Case of Greece. Springer.
- 2010. “Assimilation and its Alternatives: Caveats in the Study of Nation-Building Policies", In Rethinking Violence: States and Non-State Actors in Conflict, eds. Adria Lawrence and Erica Chenoweth. BCSIA Studies in International Security, MIT Press.
- 2008. “When do Votes Count? Regime Type, Electoral Conduct, and Political Competition in Africa.” Comparative Political Studies, Vol. 41, No. 11, 1466-1491 (with Nasos Roussias).
- Google scholar profile.
- "Peter Katzenstein Book Prize".
- "European Studies Book Award". Council for European Studies. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Mylonas, Harris. "Homepage". Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Harris Mylonas. “Whither Nation-Building?” e-International Relations, May 8th 2013; Harris Mylonas. “The Challenges of Nation-Building in the Syrian Arab Republic”, in The Political Science of Syria’s War, POMEPS Briefing #22, December 18th 2013, pp. 57-59; Harris Mylonas. 2013. “Revisiting the Link: Politicizing Religion in Democratizing Countries”, Harvard International Review, Vol. 34, Issue 4 (Spring), pp. 48-52; Harris Mylonas and Emirhan Yorulmazlar. "Regional multilateralism: The next paradigm in global affairs", CNN.com, January 14th 2011; Thomas Meaney and Harris Mylonas."The Pandora's box of sovereignty", Los Angeles Times, August 13th 2008; Wilder Bullard and Harris Mylonas. “This is no 1989 moment for the Arab world”, Guardian.co.uk, February 8 2011; Keith Darden and Harris Mylonas. "The Promethean Dilemma in Third-Party Nation-Building", The Monkey Cage, September 20th 2012.
- Harris Mylonas. 2015. "The Agreekment that could break Europe: Euroskeptics, Eurocritics, and Life After the Bailout," Foreign Affairs, July 14; Harris Mylonas. 2014. "Democratic Politics in Times of Austerity: The Limits of Forced Reform in Greece," Perspectives on Politics, Vol. 12, No. 2 (June): 435-443; Harris Mylonas. 2013. “Greece,” European Journal of Political Research Political Data Yearbook, Volume 52, Issue 1: 87–95; George Th. Mavrogordatos and Harris Mylonas. 2012. “Greece,” European Journal of Political Research Political Data Yearbook, Volume 51, Issue 1: 122-128; George Th. Mavrogordatos and Harris Mylonas. 2011. “Greece,” European Journal of Political Research Political Data Yearbook, Volume 50, Issue 7-8: 985-990; Harris Mylonas. 2011. "Is Greece a Failing Developed State?" in Botsiou, Konstantina E.; Klapsis, Antonis (eds.) The Konstantinos Karamanlis Institute for Democracy Yearbook 2011: The Global Economic Crisis and the Case of Greece. Springer.
- "Board of Directors". Association for the Study of Nationalities. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Nationalities Papers website. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Mylonas, Harris. "Elliott School of International Affairs". Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies website. Retrieved 13 September 2015.