Jacobs High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Harry Darnell Jacobs High School|
2601 Bunker Hill|
Algonquin, Illinois 60102
|Oversight||Community Unit School District 300|
|Faculty||130.76 (on an FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.76|
|Color(s)||Brown and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Fox Valley|
Harry D. Jacobs High School (commonly referred to as Jacobs or HDJ) is a public high school for students in grades 9 through 12 located in Algonquin, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago, serving students from the west half of the Village of Algonquin and its surrounding areas, including Lake in the Hills, Gilberts, some of Sleepy Hollow, some of Carpentersville, and some of West Dundee, Illinois. The school is located in McHenry County, Illinois but also draws students from Northern Kane County.
Harry D. Jacobs High School is part of Community Unit School District 300, and one of three high schools serving the district. Feeder schools to Jacobs include Westfield Community School, Dundee Middle School (partial), and Algonquin Middle School (partial). The school is a member of the Illinois High School Association, Fox Valley Conference.
In terms of Advanced Placement (AP) courses, the school offers Music Theory, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Studio Art, U.S. History, Government and Politics, English Language, English Literature, Psychology, Environmental Science, Computer Programming, and Calculus and Spanish.
The demographic breakdown of the 2,191 students enrolled in 2015-2016 was:
- Male - 51.0%
- Female - 49.0%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.2%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 7.2%
- Black - 3.1%
- Hispanic - 16.2%
- White - 70.2%
- Multiracial - 3.1%
22.6% of the students were eligible for free or reduced-cost lunch.
Middle schools that feed into Harry D. Jacobs High School include:
- Westfield Community School- Middle School
- Dundee Middle School (partial)
- Algonquin Middle School (partial)
- Doug Feldmann, author and professional baseball scout
- Ryan Hartman, AHL/NHL hockey player
- Evan Jager, professional runner, Olympic and world championships medalist
- Adam Neylon, Wisconsin legislator and businessman
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Harry D Jacobs High School". nces.ed.gov. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- "Algonquin (Jacobs)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 24 February 2010. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Curriculum guide Archived 2011-07-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Attendance Boundary Map - Middle/High Schools." Community Unit School District 300.
- Arnold, Jeff. "I’m Just Saying ... with Doug Feldmann", Northwest Herald, May 11, 2014. Accessed December 12, 2016. "Feldmann, who played baseball at Jacobs and then at Northern Illinois, also works as a datacaster at the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati, providing play-by-play and stats for Reds home games for MLB.com."
- "Ryan Hartman Stats and News". NHL.com. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- "Congratulations to Evan Jager!!! - Jacobs High School". d300.org. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 2013-2014,' Biographical Sketch of Adam Neylon, pg. 85