Hendrix is best known for the book Getting the Love You Want, which has sold more than 4 million copies and gained in popularity during Hendrix's 17 appearances on The Oprah Winfrey Show. He is a diplomat in the American Association of Pastoral Counselors as well as a clinical member of the American Group Psychotherapy Association and the International Transactional Analysis Association, and has produced 10 written works in partnership with his wife and American activist, Helen LaKelly Hunt. In addition to their development of Imago Relationship Therapy, Harville and Helen also serve as Chancellors and Distinguished Professors of Daybreak University.
Early life and education
Hendrix was born in 1935 in Statesboro, Georgia. At the age of 17 he became an ordained Baptist minister, after which he continued on to receive his B.A. at Mercer University in Georgia, in 1957, and his B.D. from Union Theological Seminary in 1961. Following this, Hendrix then went on to receive both an M.A. and Ph.D. in psychology and religion from the Divinity School at the University of Chicago.
Career and global mission
Hendrix, along with his wife Helen LaKelly Hunt, developed Imago Relationship Therapy, a form of relationship and couples therapy that focuses on relational counseling to transform any conflict between couples into opportunities for healing and growth.
The Latin word “imago”—meaning “image”—refers to the “unconscious image of familiar love.” What has been found is frequent connection between frustrations in adult relationships and early childhood experiences. As an example, individuals frequently criticized as a child will likely be highly sensitive to their partner’s criticism. Childhood feelings of abandonment, suppression or neglect will often arise in a marriage or committed relationship. When such “core issues” repeatedly come up with a partner, they can overshadow all that is good in a relationship and leave one to wonder whether he or she has chosen the right mate. Through Imago Relationship Therapy, couples can learn to understand each other’s feelings and “childhood wounds” more empathically, allowing them to heal themselves and their relationships so they can move toward a more “Conscious Relationship.
Harville and Helen co-created Imago Relationship Therapy and Safe Conversations to promote the transformation of couples and families by a creating relational culture that support universal equality. Most personal suffering, such as divorce, domestic violence, anxiety, depression, addictions and mental illness, are disorders of unhealthy relationships. Therefore, happiness, success, emotional well-being, and joy are functions of healthy relationships. Harville and Helen envision a world in which the primary value is relationship and universal equality is a reality. Their belief is that all persons are created in relationship, become who they are in relationship, and are wounded by and healed in relationship.
Awards and honors
Hendrix holds a Ph.D. in Psychology and Theology from the University of Chicago, In addition to that, he has received an honorary doctorate and two distinguished service awards. He has appeared on many national television shows including sixteen guest appearances on the Oprah Winfrey show. One of his appearances won her an Emmy award for the "most socially redemptive" daytime talk shows and was included by Ms. Winfrey in her top twenty shows.
- Hendrix, Harville; LaKelly Hunt, Helen (1988). Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples. St. Martin's Griffin. ISBN 9781250310538.
- Hendrix, Harville; LaKelly Hunt, Helen (1993). Keeping the Love You Find. Atria. ISBN 0671734202.
- Hendrix, Harville; LaKelly Hunt, Helen (1994). Couples Companion: Meditations & Exercises for Getting the Love You Want: A Workbook for Couples. Atria. ISBN 0671868837.
- Hendrix, Harville; LaKelly Hunt, Helen (1995). The Personal Companion : Meditations and Exercises for Keeping the Love you Find. Atria. ISBN 0641919999.
- Hendrix, Harville; LaKelly Hunt, Helen (1997). Giving the Love That Heals. Atria. ISBN 0671793993.
- Hendrix, Harville; LaKelly Hunt, Helen (1999). The Parenting Companion: Meditations and Exercises for Giving the Love That Heals. Atria. ISBN 0671868853.
- Hendrix, Harville; LaKelly Hunt, Helen (2003). Getting the Love You Want Workbook: The New Couples' Study Guide. Atria. ISBN 0743483677.
- Hendrix, Harville; LaKelly Hunt, Helen (2004). Receiving Love. Atria. ISBN 0743483707.
- Hendrix, Harville; LaKelly Hunt, Helen (2013). Making Marriage Simple: Ten Relationship-Saving Truths. Harmony Books. ISBN 9780770437145.
- Hendrix, Harville; LaKelly Hunt, Helen (2017). The Space Between : The Point of Connection. Franklin, TN: Clovercroft Publishing. ISBN 978-1945507366.
- Best Sellers April 16, 1989, The New York Times.
- "Getting the Love You Want".
- “IDEAS & TRENDS; What Publishers Will Do for a Place on the Right List”, Roger Cohen, The New York Times, August 12, 1990.
- "Daybreak University".
- "Harville Hendrix: Relationships, the Brain, and Zero Negativity", Insights at the Edge podcast, June 28, 2011.
- "Harville Hendrix, Helen LaKelly Hunt, Lori Galperin & Marc Gafni: Imago, Unique Self, & the Crying God". Center for Integral Wisdom. Retrieved 2020-03-04.
- "What is Imago?". Harville and Helen. Retrieved 2020-03-04.
- “Seven Questions for Harville Hendrix”, Ryan Howes, Psychology Today, February 12, 2009.
- "Harville Hendrix". summitforclinicalexcellence.com. Retrieved 2020-02-24.