Région du Haut-Sassandra
|Motto: "Cohésion, travail, développement"|
Location of Haut-Sassandra Region (green) in Ivory Coast and in Sassandra-Marahoué District
|1997||Established as a first-level subdivision|
|2000||Divided to create Fromager Region|
|2011||Converted to a second-level subdivision|
|• Prefect||Kouamé Brou|
|• Council President||Alphonse Djedje Mady|
|• Total||17,761 km2 (6,858 sq mi)|
|• Density||81/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Time zone||GMT (UTC+0)|
Haut-Sassandra Region is one of the 31 regions of Ivory Coast and is one of two regions in Sassandra-Marahoué District. The region's seat is Daloa. The region's area is 17,761 km², and its population in the 2014 census was 1,430,960, making it the most populous region of Ivory Coast.
Departments and geography
The region is traversed by a northwesterly line of equal latitude and longitude.
Haut-Sassandra Region was created in 1997 as a first-level administrative region of the country. In 2000, Gagnoa Department was split off from Haut-Sassandra and combined with Oumé Department from Marahoué Region to form Fromager Region.
As part of the 2011 administrative reorganisation of the subdivisions of Ivory Coast, Haut-Sassandra was converted into a second-level administrative region and became part of the new first-level Sassandra-Marahoué District. No territorial changes were made to Haut-Sassandra as a result of the reorganisation.
- "Préfets de Région et de Préfets de Département (Conseil des ministres du mercredi 26 septembre 2012)", abidjan.net, 2 October 2012.
- "Haut-Sassandra", gouv.ci, accessed 23 February 2016.
- "Côte d'Ivoire". geohive.com. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- Since 2000. From 1997 to 2000, the area was greater.
- Décret n° 2011-263 du 28 septembre 2011 portant organisation du territoire national en Districts et en Régions.